Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6 Help / Advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.6 Help / Advice
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Flyer  Ford pictures for 99Flyer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mods being done...
-Mod Max valve train with Ferrera valves
-Heads ported and polished, (stock they are sooo rough)
-FRRP shorty headers
-Hypertech power programmer(cal. for 3:73's 6300 red line)
??????Cams... I dont know yet, Would there be any problems getting a supercharged spec cam while running n/a for about a year??

If funds permit...
?????torque converter... What stall speed?? 3:73's on e/t streets...charged in the future...
-Aluminum Drive shaft
-Underdrive pullys
-Bullit intake (if it ever gets semi-cheap)

Future...
-Bottom end..(not exactly sure)
-Procharger p1sc w/ 3 core shtmtl upgrade.
[Confused] [Confused]
Any help or advice with my questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

--------------------
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
1971 Camaro 350 SC
1977 GMC Kingsley Class A

Posts: 415 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious as to who's doing all the machine/port/polish head work.

--------------------
SHM H-pipe, Flowmaster, SVO pullies, PRO-M77, PRO-5.0, NOS 125 hp shot, Racesystems/Autologic, Precision 3.73

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first for the cams. any "supercharger" spec cams you get will still work great running an a NA motor.. If you had "turbo" cams in it, it would be a different story.. For the troque converter I wouldnt go much higher the 3,000 for a street driven car. Is your car a daily driver or just weekends ?
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well you might have a problem couse its a automatic

I dont think a blower cam would work really good on a automatic I would check before you get the cams and make sure you wont have any problems when you come to idle

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blower cams would be fine. If everything is designed for the motor it wont even lope.. If it does, have the idle RPM raised a bit via a custom chip and everything should work out fine
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by youl luz:
blower cams would be fine. If everything is designed for the motor it wont even lope.. If it does, have the idle RPM raised a bit via a custom chip and everything should work out fine

yea your right a chip would take car of it but his car would have to idle 800-900rpm

but I would say just get the blower know and save for the build on the bottom end and for the fuel couse we all know the fuel system is only good for about 425rwhp anything over that and well you pushing it

i mean the cost to have the heads redont like you want them and the labor to instal plus the chip well you could of just bought the blower wich woudl give you more power then if you just did cams

also when you redo the whole block,heads and all that good stuff well you will have to look in to buying a better tranny couse theirs no way the tranny will hold that much power
im not even sure what the stock auto will hold in terms of power before it breaks

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Flyer  Ford pictures for 99Flyer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the advice YOUL LUZ, I'm going to be using this car as a daily driver still, so I dont want cams that are too wild..any advice on specs? I'm probably going to go with Crower.

IRON 281- LJ's speed and machine shop in Napa is doing my head work.

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
i mean the cost to have the heads redont like you want them and the labor to instal plus the chip well you could of just bought the blower wich woudl give you more power then if you just did cams
[/QB]

Well The Main labor of pulling the motor and taking the heads off is being done by myself, and the heads are coming off because of a badly stripped spark plug hole,... so might as well put it together correctly.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by 99FLYER:
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:

Well The Main labor of pulling the motor and taking the heads off is being done by myself, and the heads are coming off because of a badly stripped spark plug hole,... so might as well put it together correctly.. [Big Grin] [/QB]
oh I see well if they are already comeing off yea the I see your point
i thought you were just goin to do it to gain more power

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99FLYER:
Thanks for the advice YOUL LUZ, I'm going to be using this car as a daily driver still, so I dont want cams that are too wild..any advice on specs? I'm probably going to go with Crower.

IRON 281- LJ's speed and machine shop in Napa is doing my head work.

] I would talk to a competent engine builder like Bruce Grigg's from Griggs racing.. He was telling me about a 99+ 2v motor that he put together that was very mild and made 385 crank HP. He has been messing w/ mod motors since 94, before they were even installed into Mustangs. If I were doing it I would do a 4v head or whole motor swap.. Its well worth the money
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

YOUL LUZ
Yeah, I'm sure it's worth the money, but I'd have to get a 99 up 4v motor to be legal...(not like any one would check)...and I dont have the money!
I've met ...I think it was ??Ben Griggs?? at the Diablo Valley Mustang show in Antioch, so maybe I'll stop by the shop. Any ways I'm still driving a SOHC while the 99GT is down....(my girlfriends 96 Neon Coupe.. [Embarrassed] ..Ha Ha)So getting around isn't too bad.

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com