Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ideas on Clutches...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ideas on Clutches...
MyV8Ponie
¯
Member # 1540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MyV8Ponie  Ford pictures for MyV8Ponie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking at getting a new clutch soon for my 88 mustang gt. Any good brands that I should look at getting. I'm going to be doing a lot of mods to my motor so is a high performance clutch a good idea? This is going to be my daily driver so I need to keep it easy and I don't want to go through a lot of clutches from being in Traffic all of the time and what not.

How much also would I be looking at spending on a clutch and installation?

[ July 27, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: MyV8Ponie ]

--------------------
(I love you girl)
RIP VANESSA CAMARILLO
AUGUST 30,1983-JULY 22, 2002

My stang is for sale
88 Gt Mustang 5.0
Mods: 8.8 Rear Axles

3,500 obo...No trades cash only.
Cell 510-306-6615
Email kimojr3764@aol.com

Posts: 146 | From: Bay Area Oakland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
V8 Pony-
I'm sure me and my buddy dan (V6Boy) can work something out on instalation. We install clutches pretty cheap and doesnt take too long. We also have the flywheel turned on both sides.

Let us know if we can do it for you. We are always looking for side jobs to help people out.

Check out the centerforce clutches and the Spec clutches.

--------------------
Support our troops!

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont listen to that gut SIC91SLEEPER!!! He dont know his ass from his elbow. I have tried many clutches and the one I LOVE by far the best is McLeod. But thats me so Centerforce and Specs are good also. I would not reccomend Ram or King Cobra for the simple fact that they dont hold up to high HP combinations very long.

Just f$#kin with you Jared!! (sic91sleeper)

Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, how much horsepower are we talking agout here? i love my king cobra
Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call up the companies listed above.... You will come to one conclusion...SPEC! [Big Grin]
Seriously, they've got the hot setup. A stage 2 will do just fine for 98% of the Mustangs out there.
Installation is a snap. Hardest part is installing/removing the tranny. Other than that, it's just bolts & locktight! They give you an allignment tool.

Make sure to have the flywheel re-surfaced.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Psycho Dave
¯
Member # 739

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psycho Dave  Ford pictures for Psycho Dave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Theres a lot more to it than just asking which clutch to buy or which clutch is good...I havent heard many good things about the centerforce dual friction...Nosboyss and RyanM just put in specs if I remember right and they seem to like them...I dont know anything about king cobra...I have heard many good things about the mcleod rev lok II. I guess it all depends what material you want for the clutch. As far as the ram not holding much power...which series ram was it? the 300 series is bottom of the line, 6000 series is next step up and its a bronze metallic disk..I have heard of people melting the bronze metallic disk to the flywheel..But there is also a twin turbo ls1 running the 6000 series bronze metallic disk with no problems..I personally will be running the ram 900 series which is a sintered iron disk...its not much for the street or every day use but it does hold power well and hasnt had the issues that the bronze metallic disk has of welding itself to the flywheel. The mcleod rev lok II is also a sintered iron disk. Another option would be mcleod twin disk but its pricey and overkill for most applications..About all you can do is read up on clutches as much as possible and then flip a coin on which you go with...hope this helped a little..if you have anymore questions about ram setups I can probably help ya out...good luck [Big Grin]
Posts: 60 | From: Marysvile, Ca. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, i dont want to completely knock Ram. I had the powergrip and it sucked. But I know they have higher quality clutches than that. It just seems like when you have had bad luck with any type of a product you never seem to but there stuff in the future. At least that is me. King Cobra arent bad either, I just dont think they will hold up to high horsepower applications. We all know though that when it comes to a clutch, most of it is the driver who can make or break it!!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
MyV8Ponie
¯
Member # 1540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MyV8Ponie  Ford pictures for MyV8Ponie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow that's a lot of good info Psycho Dave, and to others, I'm going to look up more on clutches, I've already looked at a couple in the magazine 5.0 ford mustang. Thanks.

--------------------
(I love you girl)
RIP VANESSA CAMARILLO

My stang is for sale
88 Gt Mustang 5.0

Cell 510-306-6615
Email kimojr3764@aol.com

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might want to re-think your tranny choice. aod doesnt really need a clutch [Razz] last i heard anyways [Big Grin]
Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
MyV8Ponie
¯
Member # 1540

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
you might want to re-think your tranny choice. aod doesnt really need a clutch [Razz] last i heard anyways [Big Grin]

yea the aod transmission isn't going to be for awhile. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(I love you girl)
RIP VANESSA CAMARILLO

My stang is for sale
88 Gt Mustang 5.0

Cell 510-306-6615
Email kimojr3764@aol.com

Mirza
¯
Member # 135

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirza  Ford pictures for Mirza    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spec stage II

--------------------
'97 RED COBRA

PIC OF THE COBRA

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com