Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP!! Air pump for 93 GT....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!! Air pump for 93 GT....
SheWillSmokeYou
¯
Member # 452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheWillSmokeYou  Ford pictures for SheWillSmokeYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since I'm such a nice person I'm asking this for Matt's little bro that is too lazy to post this himself

He has a 93 GT that was making a god awful noise and it still ran okay...well come to find out it is his air pump. He was told to take his pully belt off and turn on the car and see if the noise is still there...it wasnt, so he turned the pully with his hand i guess when the car was off and it made the same kind of grinding noise...and Matt just told me that the air pimp is the same thing as the smog pump????

ANYWAYS...any suggestions on the best thing for his brother to do in this situation, where to get it, new or used?? We dont know....Any input on this would be much appreciated...thanks guys!!!!!

Christina Matt and Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Just a Punk Ass small Block :)

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes the air pump is the same as the smog pump. Have you ever disconnected or bypassed that pump. The pump is known to seize if its not ran for a while.

--------------------
Support our troops!

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a pump W/ 30K miles on it [looks brand new].
It's his for 15$ no peoblem.
Email me or call me to get the pump.
(510) 760-5254...Mike
[patriot]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey 98snake,
do you ever cruise by San Leandro?
I think I seen ya before??

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys thanks for the help.Can i run my car without the pump? Just run a shorter belt? Let me know what i can do.Thanks
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah another question can i drive my car with my pump messed up? Until i get it fixed.Thanks
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes you can just run a shortbelt and bypass the pup but like I said if the pumps are not ran for awhile they are known to seize up. So if yours is broken then bypass it but when u put a new pump on there run the longer belt.

--------------------
Support our troops!

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Hey thanks alot for the info.I am just going to run a shorter belt.
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ok i just talked to the guys at kragen and they said i could bypass the smog pump, but I would have problems because there are sensors and they would read different and the car would run worse.What should I do bypass it or just by a new pump???Thanks
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Anyone???
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

If you bypass the pump then you might as well take off all the smog shit, cats ect.
The car will run alil different but hardly noticable if any.

Of I got a like new pump for ya 15$ [patriot]

If your not all worried W/ performance and 1/4 mile times then leave it alone and change the pump.
You will thank me when it's smog time [patriot]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't listen to Kragen's (most of the guys are just parts sellers and not techs). If you drive your car continuously with the smog pump by-passed or not functional, it will ruin your catalytic converters. Of course, if your car has no cats then it's a moot point. Your best course of action would be to just replace the pump.
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree!!!
I took of my smog stuff (pump, hoses & cats) car runs fine (faster!). You will however, ruin your cats, like Saleenfan said.
If you guys don't want that pump, I'll take it. I will be at the track this Sat, going thru SJO on Friday.

Thanks, Shaun

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Thanks again for your help guys.I replaced the smog pump runs good as new [Smile]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com