Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car theft devices - ideas>>>

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car theft devices - ideas>>>
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, my best friend got his car stolen about 1 year ago. This morning my neighbor comes into my garage and says that his car was stolen from his driveway last night. Last year I was wintness to a murder as a result of an attempted car theft. This got me to thinking...

I sold my 87GT last week, but for sure my next car will have some sort of device. What's most effective? I know for a fact that "The Club" isn't effective for fox mustangs since I have witnessed how quickly the steering wheel can be sawes through. I know that there is a device that you place between your floorboard and your brake pedal that causes the brake pedal to be not be able to be pressed.

I think the most effective and easy method is something to do with the ignition (don't recall exactly what it is called), but its a button that you have to press when turning the ignition. If the key is turned but the button is not pressed, there is no connection, and the car will not start.

Lets hear some ideas guys. I don't want to be a victim.

Car thieves, BURN MOTHERFACKAS!
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hidden switch to disable the fuel pump relay is pretty easy, I'd spend the 30 minutes and do that if I were you.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm yeah you could wire a relay in your ignition wiring somewhere that goes to the solenoid, and put the button for the relay under your dash. That way, the relay will only be open when you hold the button.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LoJack- thats one of the devices I have. Its a satellite link so when your car gets stolen, the main center can track it anywhere, alert the poilce and tell them where to go. Thats the last resort because that means that your car has already been snagged. Fuel, computer, and igntion shutoffs, all which I have done and are pretty easy, an alarm that cant be tampered with easily, with a loud siren. One thing that I have heard is hooking up two sirens so the thief thinks he has cut one but the other goes off. Big flashing LED's in the car. Most theives wont take the risk if they know there is an alarm.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got LoJack installed on both Cobras - not because I think it's a bulletproof system, but it's one of the only ones out there that allow you to recover your vehicle and also gives me a break on my insurance (I think it's the only system that does qualify you for a break with most insurance companies). I keep hearing that they will soon be introducing a pager device that will alert you if your car is moved or tampered with. Anyway, it's all about getting your mods back (since you are usually out of luck - insurance doesn't generally cover those unless you have an add-on policy, and even that's tuff to get).

For an alarm system - I like what I've been reading about the Code Alarm. It has a starter kill, battery kill and ignition kill, all three with one alarm. And it has a tamper switch that activates all three if someone tries to disconnect the battery. Both parts, the alarm and the paging system cost about $600, installed.

In the end - the best offense is a good defense. Keeping you car in the garage away from prying eyes is probably the overall best thing you can do to keep it safe. However - if a professional thief wants something bad enough, nothing will deter him.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not a choice for newer Mustangs, but whenever I park my '85 in a risky area, I take out the rotor and/or the coil wire. Saved my car from being stolen at the Fremont BART station last year.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wolfie,
Just to let you know, while removing the rotor is ok, removing only the coil wire isn't a very good solution because a thief can just grab one of the spark plug wires and drive away on 7 cylinders. Just something to thing about.

I take my fuel pump relay with me whenever I leave the car outside. It's not the best way either because if someone knows what they are doing, they can just use a paperclip or jumper wire to "bypass" the missing relay. But it makes me feel better [Wink]

LoJack is about the best thing you can get due to the recent increase in cars being stolen with tow trucks. I have had 2 friends come out of their house to find their car gone and tire tracks leading down the street as the cars were dragged away.

Just my opinion
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just have a alarm and a fuel cutoff switch hidden. i should start using that fuel cutoff more

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I also keep my car pretty well tucked away at all times. One thing I wouldn't bother buying is Lojack. I want to prevent my car from being stole. IF they manage to steal my car, I really dont want the car back, as sad as it sounds(the theft recovery title renders it worthless as far as resale value). And even though I don't plan on selling my car, I'd like to have the clean title, just incase. A stolen car is like a girl that cheats on you, once the act has been done, it's never the same.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BLU50STANG- You are so, so right bro!!!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blue50stang is right, I want to prevent my car from being stolen.

The other best methods of stolen car prevention is common sense. Watch where u park your car at and the other best thing is to garage it all times if you can.

--------------------
Support our troops!

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Time is money guys... Lojack or anything else will not prevent people from stealing your car if they want it bad enough. But if it does get stolen, do you want to wait for months to get your money from the insurance companies or do you want to wait for only a couple of weeks? The choice is yours.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com