Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best intake for my future setup?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best intake for my future setup?
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been debating what would be the best intake for my future combo. These are the main intakes I have been considering:

- Professional Products Intake
- Holley SysteMAX Intake
- 94-95 Cobra Intake
- GT40 Intake

I will be adding a 75mm MAF, 24# injectors, and 70mm throttle body when I install the manifold.

My next stage in mods after this one will be GT40 Heads, headers, cam, & rockers.

And eventully... nitrous!

So what intake would everyone reccommend? I have heard good things about many intakes but I need advice on the best one for my future set up.

Thanks in advance [patriot]

[ July 23, 2002, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: 94RedGT ]

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you limit yourself to GT-40 heads, I'd say get the edelbrock performer 'non-rpm' intake.
should fit the bill nicely.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say gt40 intake, for gt40 heads. [patriot]
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Tyrant89
¯
Member # 1033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyrant89  Ford pictures for Tyrant89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are those "X" heads?? or "P" heads??

The X heads flow pretty well, the Edelbrock is good. I have 2 friends with the TFS intake & they claim to be very happy with the smooth response.

I would decide on a cam & head goal first, then get the intake that works BEST with those!

Posts: 260 | From: Salinas, holmes! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the TFS street intake. Works awesome and has great high rpm pull to it.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally agree with choosing a head/cam combo first. But for all around good intake, I'd go with the gt-40 or edlebrock performer (not rpm for your app.). I have owned both and am very impressed with both. The gt-40 will compliment the gt-40 heads nicely. Installation on that one is a snap as well. The edlebrock is also a nice piece, but for your car/combo, I personally would go gt-40, both for quality and I personally think looks ten times better. As for the trick flow....numbers show it's a nice intake, but I was not as impressed with the performance of this intake, and looks...yeah, I'm not going to go there with that intake.... [Roll Eyes] .....the systemax intake seems to flow very nicely, but is probably the most difficult install.....anyway, If you asked me:

1) gt-40
2) edlebrock performer
3) systemax
4) trick flow street

JUST MY .02

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
As for the trick flow....numbers show it's a nice intake, but I was not as impressed with the performance of this intake, and looks...yeah, I'm not going to go there with that intake.... [Roll Eyes]
Jack

Just wanted to know what you meant by "not going to go there"? I just bought a Trick flow intake.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I love the looks of the intake, until it is installed in the car. The trick flow has and extremely distinct look, and not a bad one at that. But when put under the hood of a fox body it looks way too big for the car. As for a 94-95, not too bad, but still not my favorite for looks. But don't get me wrong, it's one hell of a nice intake, just not really big on it's apperance.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the advice guys, but now I'm more lost than ever. But I do agree with you Jack that the Trick Flow intake does look bulky under the hood, however, I really like the looks of the Trick Flow 'R-Series' Manifold.

--------------------

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks are for the outer appearance of the car, you want an intake with great power and reliablity, get the trick flow.
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Take a look at what the TFS intake looks like on my car. Be sure to click on all the pics and not just the first 12 or so

http://photos.yahoo.com/last302

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
Take a look at what the TFS intake looks like on my car. Be sure to click on all the pics and not just the first 12 or so

http://photos.yahoo.com/last302

Hey, am I doing something wrong? It says that the album is currently empty.

--------------------

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha...a nice red apple showed up when I clicked the link. [Smile]
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Sorry, had to switch to public instead of private. Try it now and let me know. Click on "show all" because there is more than just the first page. Thanks, let me know that it works now.
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS track heat and TFS cam. [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
Sorry, had to switch to public instead of private. Try it now and let me know. Click on "show all" because there is more than just the first page. Thanks, let me know that it works now.

Man oh man.. I am so jealous, your car is sweet. I hope one day that my car is as nice as yours.
[worship]

--------------------

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Thanks for the props. Now do you like the looks of the TFS? I do because of its size. It will out perform most of the others on the market if you look around. On this board there are not alot of guys who have tried building 94-95 becuse of the fact that it was just around for those years. I have done alot to my car and have done it all myself, I know what works and what will not so if you have questions in the future post them. I love when I can lend a hand to someone with a 94-95 because thats my shit and I may not know it all but I can hopefully put you in the right direction. Scott
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Scott, Yeah I have to say that manifold looks really good under your hood, especially with that supercharger feeding it air [Wink] But I was never basing this decision on looks to begin with, I just want the best one, and the TFS is definately one of the best ones out there.

- Zach

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com