Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog legal full exhaust system...Is there such a thing?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog legal full exhaust system...Is there such a thing?
Fox89GT
¯
Member # 1539

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox89GT  Ford pictures for Fox89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there anyone with a 100% legal after market full exhaust system around? What are you using to be fully legal? I think my car has four cats but this will not make too much sense to custom build with 2.5" diameter. What is everyone is California using? Are you all "breaking the law"? [patriot]
93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All you need to do is find a set of 50 state legal headers, a catted H or X, and mufflers. I know you can get a set of smog legal headers from the ford racing performance parts catalouge, i think jba makes a set also, theres a handful more to, just got to look around.~Ken

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yah, dont custom build a H pipe, if you want to pass smog just buy an H pipe with cats, they only have 2 instead of 4.

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it is possible.......but no one makes the parts. If you have a newer mustang you will need 4 cats and every aftermarket exhaust system I have seen comes with 2 or none. However the ones with 2 will pass the sniffer test and most places don't actually count the cats so you can get away with it. Also it isn't that expensive to switch the stock pipes back in for a few hours to pass the test. The Cat-back systems don't really effect emissions.....mostly just sound.

--------------------
-Adam Cate
00' Saleen #00-925
3.55 Factory gears, 80mm MAF
13.7 @102mph
2 12" MTX 7000's pushin 1000W
[IMG]http://www.saleen00925.com/images/saleens3small.jpg[/IMG]
Saleen00925.com

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Manny
¯
Member # 23

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manny  Ford pictures for Manny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 2 cats and headers on my car and it passed smog. [Wink]

[ July 20, 2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Manny ]

--------------------
Manny...

Posts: 495 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com