Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GT40 vs GT40P Heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GT40 vs GT40P Heads
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the difference between them exactly?

What kind of difference in power can I expect between the GT40/GT40P heads vs my stock heads?

How well would they work with the Edelbrock RPM Intake?

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
little to no appreciable difference, probably advantage to the 'P' to the tune of 5 ish HP.

redesigned spark plug locations necessetating a different style of shorty header (or the same long tube as before)

better swirl #'s

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everyone says the "p" heads are better...but i have to disagree.
My buddy used a set of 40's off a cobra, just cleaned the exhaust up a bit and decked them to raise compression.
w/ those and a box stock GT-40 intake he dropped from 13.40's to 12.80's.
I've never seen a similar combo like his w/ p's even get into 12's. And you need the special headers.
But thats just one car......and 1 guys opinion.

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
P's have smaller exhaust valves, yet flow is not compromised..... Smaller valves w/the same flow = faster velocity = more torque.
Problem is, both heads have sevearly choked up exhaust.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hear the P's have a little more HP, this is from a guy who builds motor's using both heads. The same guy said, cost effective, you are better off saving a little extra to get alluminum heads, fact is heads are about $600 assembled, plus you have to buy the headers, which is another $250, that is $850, $150 more you got a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge heads... my $.02

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The P's have a smaller chamber so you get a bit higher of a compression ratio and like previosly said, the exhaust port flows the same as the regular GT40's, but with a smaller valve. The spark plug is also angled to face the chamber better for a more complete burn. I'd guess a 1MPH difference between the two heads. As for the intake, unless you have some heavy porting done, stick with the regular Edelbrock Performer intake. No need for the RPM version.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com