Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help removing full length headers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help removing full length headers
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Help! My car is on jackstands as I was trying to remove my full length headers for smog inspection. I got the driver's side out with ease. I am stuck with the passenger side and I can't figure out how to get it out. I removed the starter, jacked up the car as high as I could, and jacked up the engine for more room. I still can't get them out. I tried under the car but the fit is too tight. I tried through the engine compartment but there is an AC line which prevents me from getting them out. At this point the only options left are removing the AC line which I don't really know how to do or removing the bell housing and dropping the transmission which I REALLY DON'T want to do. Has anybody struggled like this with this side or does anyone have any suggestions or tips as to how to remove them [Confused]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah you need two things,
1. a large chain with a hook on one end
2. a pickup truck
fallow these instructions,
1. place chain around header
2. tie other end around bumper of truck
3. back truck up as close to car as possible
4. put truck in drive and floor it
NOTE, Headers & car may not be useful after this proceger, Just kidding
The last set i did we had to remove the AC line, thats the easiest way to get it out, but you will have to have your ac recharged
good luck,,,,

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't quite have a pick up truck handy so I guess my best choice is to remove the AC line. I'm assuming it will be easiest to remove the passenger side header from the engine compartment. I'm also assuming those quick disconnect tools for Ford fuel lines and AC lines should do the trick for disconnecting that AC line. Can anyone confirm this?

P.S. I'm not worried about losing freon because the AC system has been empty for a few years.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the starter out already, undo your motor mounts. Give an assistant a pry-bar and shove the motor out of the way while you get the passenger header out. I'm guessing it's easier to push through than up and out, but whatever works. Rotating the motor can give you easily another 2" of room.

[ July 16, 2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com