Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brake upgrade kit questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake upgrade kit questions
oldskool
¯
Member # 1457

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for oldskool  Ford pictures for oldskool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been researching brake kit upgrades recently...has anyone done a 13" brake upgrade? If so, how difficult was it and which system did you purchase? It seems that Brembo has the best combination for the money, or I could go with a Cobra upgrade kit from Steeda for a little less. I've got a 96 V6 with the 98 17 inch Cobra rims on it, so clearance is not a problem. Also, is the Cobra kit a bolt on kit, so basically it just replaces my current parts, and I wouldn't need to change out the master cylinder?

--------------------
2005 Honda Accord LX
1996 White V6 **SOLD**

WingnuT
¯
Member # 430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingnuT  Ford pictures for WingnuT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the brake setup on your V6 is the same as on a GT, then the Cobra 13" setup is a bolt-on. Takes about 20 minutes to swap.

I would recommend going to www.discbrakesrus.com and picking up a set of OEM Cobra or Bullitt brakes. The have the best deals around.

Posts: 136 | From: Scotts Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
oldskool
¯
Member # 1457

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for oldskool  Ford pictures for oldskool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info Wingnut.

But I don't believe the V6 has the same setup as the GT. I'm going from 11 inch rotors to a 13 inch setup and I think I will also have to remove the dust shield on the brakes to fit the larger sized rotors.

I tried posting this question on a V6 forum but got not answer. Everyone in that forum always talks about going faster and faster, but no one wants to stop really fast. Has anyone done this upgrade on a V6?

Thanks.

--------------------
2005 Honda Accord LX
1996 White V6 **SOLD**

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am about 90% sure that the brakes are the same on v6 and v8 SN95's. I have a 95 and upgraded to the Baer Track kit and took about 20 minutes total as Wingnut said. It is easy as F$#k. And yes, remove the dust covers by either prying them off with a screwdriver or cutting around the rivets. There is no clearance problem with them on but they dont allow air to reach the rotor on the inside by leaving them on. The Baer Track kit and the Cobra kit are the exact same caliper except for the writing on them. They are both made by PBR. The brembo's I do not know about but I would assume they are similar if not the same.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same brakes. Easy install. Did it in a little longer because i was talking. I got the bullit calipers with cross-drilled/slotted rotors. After putting them in youl luz showed me how much better these brakes were by putting my face through my windshield. [Wink]
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as far as i know u need th have the 17 inch wheels to do the 13 inch brake upgrade, does your v6 have the premium 17 inch wheels?
oldskool
¯
Member # 1457

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for oldskool  Ford pictures for oldskool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, I currently have 98 Cobra rims on the car, so clearance will not be a problem. I wasn't sure if the 94-98 GT's had the same brakes as my 11 inch rotors on my V6. I know the newer ones come with 13 inch rotors already so I know that the Cobra brake upgrade would be easy. My main concern is not only the fit but if I would have to change out the master cylinder in the process of installation.

Thanks

--------------------
2005 Honda Accord LX
1996 White V6 **SOLD**

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com