Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 393cu +AFR 185's+ Demon=??????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 393cu +AFR 185's+ Demon=??????
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you all think about this motor W/ afr 185's and a Demon 850cfm carb is it worth changing?

CHP 393ci Street Fighter "Classic"

471 Horsepower

What looks like a Small Block and has the displacement of a Big Block? Simple, a Coast High Performance 393 cubic inch Crate Motor. Based on the Ford 351W, the 393 Crate Motor will fit into any Ford that was originally equipped with a 289 or 302 engine.

The carburetor based 393 engines with front sump oil pans are offered as a complete drop-in for either the earlier model Mustangs (pre 1978) or the later FOX chassis vehicles. Of course, they will also fit into many other Ford vehicles, pick-up trucks, motor homes and street rods.

FEATURES

Probe Industries SRS Forged Pistons
Probe Industries CNC Beam Forged Rods
Probe Industries Cast Steel Stroker Crankshaft
Precision balanced
Fully machined block (bored, honed and square decked)
Edelbrock Victor Jr aluminum cylinder heads. (Stage 1)
Probe Industries Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms
Custom hydraulic camshaft and anti pump-up lifters
True Roller 3-Way adjustable timing set
Manley hardened pushrods and guide plates
7-qt. Gold Race oil pan
High volume Melling oil pump
Probe Industries billet oil pump drive
Heavy duty crankshaft balancer
Polished aluminum valve covers with breather
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Electronic ignition compatible distributor
ARP fasteners
Fel-Pro gaskets
$6,299.99 + freight

Includes the "Premium 2000 Plus" 30 month or 50,000 mile engine warranty.

--------------------
65 fastback mustang
410w 11:1 c-4 592fwhp 560fwtq

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I want one [Big Grin]

What part of santa rosa are you in? [Confused]

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2 blocks south of the fair grounds.And yea that motor would make your fox fly. [dance]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JOSH:
2 blocks south of the fair grounds.And yea that motor would make your fox fly. [dance]

Josh..just wanted to let you know..your 65 Fastback is one hell of a beautiful car..you are quite a lucky guy..just looked at the pics and thought I'd share my .02..later [dance]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JOSH:

HAHA I drive by that area at minimum 5times a week to go to work (magnolia hi-fi by best buy)
Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
I like to race
¯
Member # 1484

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I like to race  Ford pictures for I like to race    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cast steel crank??? i'd ask them to swap in their 4340 forged crank. and what is the compression?

$7,000 is a lot of money for only 471 hp but the warrenty is nice.

Posts: 87 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 393ci stroker is a stroker crank, with stock 351W rods and 302 pistons. You could probably build your own for less, but a waranty is nice. Might want to check out the similar offerings from Ford Racing, D.S.S., etc. I know that CHP is a good company but it never hurts to shop around. The AFR 185's are really nice heads. Hope this helps
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

POONSTANG
Thanks its nice to hear what fellow stangers think.

The Rick
Yep you got the spot . By the way magnolia hi-fi is a cool store ,I have to stay out or I will spend my mustang fund.

I like to race

JimboI don't the cr but it will run on pump gas
Do you all think it is worth going w/ a forged crank ?????

Jimbo

I am going to shop around ,DSS has a 393 w/afr185's in a crate . I have not herd much about them how are they ??

Thanks for the help all [patriot]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any company that sels crate motors should give you a variety of compression ratios to choose from. Going w/ a forged crank all depends on what you want to do with the motor. Most would say that a cast crank is pretty safe up to 500hp. If you plan on racing the car hard, going boosted(nitrous,turbo,supercarger) a forged crank might be a good idea. D.S.S used to have quality control problems, but I hear that they turn out a really good product now. When I can afford to Iam going to build a 351W based stroker with the AFR heads, the Vic Jr. Edelbrock heads are pretty nice as well. Hope this helps

[ July 09, 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

yea Jimbo it does help the motor should put out close to 500hp and I don't believe in babing anything [Wink]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

I like to race
¯
Member # 1484

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I like to race  Ford pictures for I like to race    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how about afr 205s? their exhaust ports are raised but only .1" so you dont need custom headers. I could be wrong but wouldn't a big cube motor run even stronger with these heads compaired to the 185s?
Posts: 87 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
JOSH
¯
Member # 979

I have been told the 205's are happier on a race engine . But I don't know what do you all think.

--------------------
65 fastback mustang

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com