Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bad engine noise - need advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad engine noise - need advice
01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I'll try just to stick with the facts and not show how pissed I am at the wife right now. Anyway......

The wife was hot-roddng our 01 Cobra and hit the rev limiter yesterday (I just found out tonight)... and now when the car is cold - when you rev the engine you can hear what sounds like a metalic rattling sound coming from the engine bay (rattle most prominent after rev peak and the engine is coming back down to idle). Really hard to describe the sound, as I've not heard anything like it before - but it almost sounds like a accessory (power steering/alternator) bearing going south. Funny thing is when the car has warmed-up up to operating temp (after a few minutes of driving), the sound seems to go away. The valves also seem to be tapping/making noise louder then before. Oil level is in the green, and this might just be a percieved additional problem... but it just don't sound like it used to. Maybe I'm imagining it louder cause I'm hella pissed - but I don't think so.

Any of you have ideas on what's going on here? I have a bad feeling that the rev limiter didn't do it's job as well as it should have, and the engine is screwed-up ( a little or lot - I haven't got any guesses man). I'm still under warrentee - so that's the good news... bad news is that with the JBA shorties I might be facing a very expensive repair bill.

Reguardless - I would like to have some idea what I'm up against. I don't expect any good news here - but it would be nice.

Thanks in advance [Smile] .

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is an exhaust leak, for $200, Alex?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
What is an exhaust leak, for $200, Alex?

Thanks man... That I can deal with - as long as it's not a header leak. Please say it isn't so. Last thing I want to deal with is dropping the damn k-member (again).
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no seriously, my crystal ball tells me it's either at the header/head place or the header/collector area.

based solely on your description.
exhaust leaks vary precisely with rpm, and had 'ye any pushrods, I'da said it sounds like a lifter tick too (which also varies with rpms)

shouldn't be too hard to pinpoint. exhaust leaks kinda make their prescence known [Big Grin]

the odds that you damaged a low mileage newish motor from overreving it basically as a stocker are fortunately pretty low.

unless of course you were just hammering at the fuel starvation/rev limiter point but I doubt you were.

ford reliability. or dare I say frod? lol.

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Cool - I'll take it in to the muffler shop where I had the headers installed tomorrow morning and get it checked out.

Thanks man. [patriot]

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

shade-tree
Your Crystal ball was right... exhaust leak. In particular, an oxygen sensor had come loose. 5 mins after I drove it in it was fixed. No bucks spent, and I be a happy stanger once again [Big Grin] .

Thanks for the help - you were 100% right. [worship]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

a wise man once said...

"To do things right you can be either lucky or good. Everything else being equal, I'll take lucky."

[worship]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com