Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can I do this myself?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I do this myself?
Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am changing out my suspension and I am wondering if this is a project someone with only a few tools and a jack can do?
I have the Steeda sport springs, Tokico Illumina shocks, Griggs caster/camber plates ready to install.
I’ve done something similar to my Fiero, but I had to use a spring compressor, which I don’t have anymore. Are there special tools needed? Is there a website that explains the entire procedure?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Robert [patriot]

--------------------
'97 Mustang GT vert,

Posts: 54 | From: One gallon East of San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You dont need a spring compessor to put those springs in and you can do all of that work with basic tools except you will have to go take it to get aligned after you put the caster/camber plates and springs in.

--------------------
Support our troops!

TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Robert-I'm actually doing the same change over with my car. Everything should be the same- except that I've got a 96.I'm just waiting for some $ so that I can get the Illuminas. I've got the H&R SS springs, c/c plates.
You can check out Mustangworld.com (How-to Index) and Corral.net (Tech articles).
I had replaced the struts/shocks about 6months ago. It was pretty easy, specially the shocks on the rear. It can be done with one person, but with anything-easier with two. Also helpful if you have impact wrench.
Let me know when you're planning on doing it. Maybe I can help, so I would know what to do when I have to do mines [Big Grin]
Jose

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jose:
Thanks for your offer, but after looking around my house for tools for over an hour, I decided to have Red Line Auto in Concord do the job. My place is in such disorder because we are in the middle (well maybe more towards the front) of building a two car garage + workshop + bathroom, so I have stuff scattered all over the place + at friends houses.
Red Line did the job on Monday and I picked it up on Tuesday morning. I haven’t stopped smiling yet. The handling is soooooo much better. I can now go hard into a turn without much body roll. I do notice some rear wheel hop when I power out of the turn, but a few more upgrades to the rear should take care of that.
Good luck with your project, maybe I’ll see you at the next show.
Robert

Posts: 54 | From: One gallon East of San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Robert, congrats! at least you've got your project done...on to more mods!! I can't wait to get those Illuminas! It's the only one left to get this project on the way...
BTW- how much did they charge you for the install? Would you know if they also do subframe install? again congrats..and have fun!!

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com