Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much HP could this combo have? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How much HP could this combo have?
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
331 Stroker Motor
out of the box 185CC AFR's
out of the box Edelbrock performer/Professional Products Intake
Hi energy Comp Cam
70mm TB
73mm MAF
1.7 RR
Pullies
Headers
3:73's
2 Chamber Flows
Thinking about this combo, anyone running something similar? What is your current HP?

[ June 30, 2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: HAD A RED90GT ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As is? I'd guess 335ish RWHP. Put on the holley intake and a "good" custom cam ($500-600 more total) and you'll make another 30+ RWHP with that setup.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am actually thinking about the holley intake, I am gonna use the professional products first, but if I can sell it before I get all my parts, then I will get the holley. Do you think 24lb injectors will be good enough since it is going to be an N/A car?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im doing a combo thats like that. except its a low compression block [Wink] and im just going to port my cobra intake and use a bigger cam. i almost got my hands on a spyder intake, but it got sold out from under me. you might want to upgrade the injectors to 36. ive got 42's, but my car isnt going to ne NA [Razz]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
24's won't cut it with a good custom cam and holley intake... get 30's or 36's if you're going to add nitrous later on. A 255 lph high pressure intank pump is a good start to feed those injectors. The Performer RPM intake (or its clones) are better matched to AFR 165's and Trickflow TW's than they are to the larger heads like AFR 185's, ect.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

ST 5150: So most definetly I will be trying to sell the intake, but that other combo still sounds good to me, My current Intake, 165's and a custom cam, what could I see with this.
Cobra: How much is th porting gonna cost you, isn't it better to just get another intake?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure what im going to do right now. nut the heads and intake are all i need to have the motor complete. i was thinking on a spyder intake
but those are a bit pricey

--------------------
86 GT

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Spider??? Never heard of it, who makes it? and what is the price range?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of compression would this 331 have?

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

its a really cool set up, but ive been told that its a higher rpm intake. probe industries is trying to make one, but they are having a problem making it smogable

[ June 30, 2002, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by Greenandsilver:
What kind of compression would this 331 have?

10:1 or 11:1.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

oh, and its basicly a carb lower intake manifold fitted with fuel rails

--------------------
86 GT

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Is that the one with the throttle body facing up?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I have a set of 36 # injectors W/ 2K miles on them if interested [patriot]

I think that combe deserves a HOLLEY intake not a pile of edelBrock [BS flag]
You should see about 340 RWHP= custom cam [Wink]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

93lx306nos
¯
Member # 1001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx306nos  Ford pictures for 93lx306nos  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you build the combo the right way you should be able to get 400rwhp.get a fti or high tech cam and an rpm that is cleaned up and out of the box 185s.you should see 380-400rwhp.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HAD A RED90GT:
331 Stroker Motor
Hi energy Comp Cam
70mm TB
73mm MAF
1.7 RR
Pullies
Headers
2 Chamber Flows
Thinking about this combo, anyone running something similar? What is your current HP?

It should run hard with that combo. Im currently running the 331 with the holley 75mm MAF, 75mm T/B. The cam that i got is a ISKEY cam. ill probley go with a custome grind cam later on. I wont have any HP numbers till the 13th of july (Dyno tune) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] But i just ran a SS last night and i pulled pretty good for having a 9:1 commpression motor with no tune, but ill be getting a S/C in a few months [Big Grin] [patriot] If your going to run a 10:1, you shit should haul ass.

If you do plan on getting the Holley intake then you should know that you will have to port match the intake side of the AFR 185's because the runners on the Holley are huge. Gromm Racing heads did the work on mines.Really great work [Big Grin] [Wink] Good luck on your combo. [patriot]

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by 89hatchback_lx:
quote:
331 Stroker Motor
Hi energy Comp Cam
70mm TB
73mm MAF
1.7 RR
Pullies
Headers
2 Chamber Flows

It should run hard with that combo. Im currently running the 331 with the holley 75mm MAF, 75mm T/B. The cam that i got is a ISKEY cam. ill probley go with a custome grind cam later on. I wont have any HP numbers till the 13th of july (Dyno tune) [Big Grin] [Big Grin] But i just ran a SS last night and i pulled pretty good for having a 9:1 commpression motor with no tune, but ill be getting a S/C in a few months [Big Grin] [patriot] If your going to run a 10:1, you shit should haul ass.

If you do plan on getting the Holley intake then you should know that you will have to port match the intake side of the AFR 185's because the runners on the Holley are huge. Gromm Racing heads did the work on mines.Really great work [Big Grin] [Wink] Good luck on your combo. [patriot]

Where did you get your 331, and how much did the porting cost? Was it a whole combo you bought, or did you get the parts from different places?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[QUOTE]Where did you get your 331, and how much did the porting cost? Was it a whole combo you bought, or did you get the parts from different places?

I got my 331 from CHP. The porting cost around 250-300 around there( Dont remember got too pull recipets)Gromm does some really great work for the money. My combo was built by my bro and I. Except the short block, It was already assembeld from CHP. The heads i got from houston performance in a group puchase. My set up is built for a Supercharger but running it N/A till then. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Who is CHP?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Who is CHP?

Coast High Performance. Check any 5.0 or MM&FF mag and they should be in there. They are known for there 347 Street fighter. Really cool guys there. Verey helpfull. If you do go with CHP ask for george. [patriot]

--------------------

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

How much was the kit, and what was included, was it also balanced for you? Can't you just stuff a stroker kit into your existing block? Becasue I found a 331 kit from Central coast mustang for $1699, i forget what it comes with but it is balanced.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
How much was the kit, and what was included, was it also balanced for you? Can't you just stuff a stroker kit into your existing block? Becasue I found a 331 kit from Central coast mustang for $1699, i forget what it comes with but it is balanced.

I orderd my short block balanced and everything on a Sportsman Block. I also got my cam, Harmonic balancer, oil pump, and girdle from them. I spent a good amount of money for the short block but you can do it for cheaper. CHP has the 331 kit for $1,295.99 i think it comes balance already.(Just in case, ask if it does come balanced.) I dont think you have to do any machine work to your block but i do recomend preping it and get a girdle. I heard that PunkInA5.Slow Build good motors. Hes done a couple of 331's. He should be more helpfull on what you need. [Wink]

--------------------

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Yeah I already asked dan about it. Just looking for any ideas. He is probably going to be the one to build it.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10 to one AFR headed 331s and 347s are making 455-480 DYNO horsepower with off the shelf comp cams

just for FYI

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
10 to one AFR headed 331s and 347s are making 455-480 DYNO horsepower with off the shelf comp cams

just for FYI

God Damn... I LIKE... So Dan how much am I looking at? for the combo I mentioned?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com