Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » runners on cobra lower intake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: runners on cobra lower intake
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any of you have any suggestions where to cut the runners for most power n/a? any suggestions? the intake is pretty well ported right now my main concern is the runners

thanks!

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Matt,
It would depend on where you want your "more" power at. Up high in the RPM band or down low? Want the torque curve to look nice?

For example a stock intake on a SEFI 5.0L is a pretty good piece at making the car "feel" fast cause it keeps decent velocity and has tuned runners to provide the most top end power it can without sacrificing low end.

When you go to an intake with more runner length (like say a Cobra intake) you see maybe more peak power but the power that is given up down low is never fully recovered by having just the higher peak power.

OR the heads just simply wont keep up with the intake and velocity goes down.

So be careful when playing with runner length.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Basically, the shorter the runner, the more upper RPM torque you get...or HP, if that's what you like.

My take on it:
As the intake valve closes it sends an air pulse backwards, up through the intake, then incounters the incoming air & starts back towards the intake valve. Pulse reversion I think it's called. At certain RPM's it reaches the intake valve just as it's opening & causes an increase in torque output do to the increased velocity. The longer the runner, the longer it takes to make the trip.
So, a shorter runner would be good for a kick in high RPM power when the valve is opening faster.
A longer runner would be benificial for low-end torque were the intake valve is opening slower.

So, the real trick is figuring out were you want the added torque & cutting the runner to match.

Good luck!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone else who has shortened their runners on an n/a car?

also to make up for the low end torque i could just advance timing down low yeah?

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Basically, the shorter the runner, the more upper RPM torque you get...or HP, if that's what you like.

My take on it:
As the intake valve closes it sends an air pulse backwards, up through the intake, then incounters the incoming air & starts back towards the intake valve. Pulse reversion I think it's called. At certain RPM's it reaches the intake valve just as it's opening & causes an increase in torque output do to the increased velocity. The longer the runner, the longer it takes to make the trip.
So, a shorter runner would be good for a kick in high RPM power when the valve is opening faster.
A longer runner would be benificial for low-end torque were the intake valve is opening slower.

So, the real trick is figuring out were you want the added torque & cutting the runner to match.

Good luck!

Sounds like it would be extremely hard but usefull to find the perfect balance!

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com