Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Custom Burned Chip???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Custom Burned Chip???
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKKSTANG  Ford pictures for SIKKSTANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just have a question about chips. My friend took his cobra to a dyno and the dude there said that the mods put on his car aren't giving the car the full power because his computer doesn't recognize the new power gains and still "thinks" its stock. Is this true? The dude said that he will need a custom chip to get the power he should be getting from his mods. He's got a 4.6 cobra and I also have the 4.6 motor so I don't really understand this stuff. Anyone have any input on this or is the dude just tryin to sell a freakin chip and get some money?

Thanks
Alex

--------------------
Burn rubber on you quick as hell, you need some toilet paper don't shit on yourself...
sikkstang.tripod.com

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What mods does the cobra have. This will determine if he needs a chip or not. With minor bolt ons, you don't need to get a chip burnt.
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKKSTANG  Ford pictures for SIKKSTANG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friends got an x-pipe wit flows and a detroit rocker or somethin like that. i think he had a chip in there but it might need to be tuned or sumthin, not sure tho

--------------------
Burn rubber on you quick as hell, you need some toilet paper don't shit on yourself...
sikkstang.tripod.com

SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

oh and hes got 4.10s

--------------------
sikkstang.tripod.com

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tell your friend to disconnect his battery for a few mins.. this will reset the stock computer... and whoever told you that is just trying to make $$$ you dont NEED a custom chip, though it will help

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this is about D's car, we think that the motor was not proberly, or all the way broken in yet. Or he just flat out got the bum motor. This motor is almost 2 seconds slower than the old one. He was a high 12, now mid 14. I think he got shafted. [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
SIKKSTANG
¯
Member # 1210

na its bout my friend Sean Maxwell's uncle with a red 98 cobra

--------------------
sikkstang.tripod.com

saleen00925
¯
Member # 1302

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen00925  Ford pictures for saleen00925  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A custom chip will help, but isn't needed. With those mods you will see a very small hp gain. Disconnect the battery for a couple minutes like said above and then go driving, the computer will adjust to the mods.

-adam cate
00-925

Posts: 244 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com