Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 conversion
Kevyn
¯
Member # 422

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kevyn  Ford pictures for Kevyn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 91 5.0 convert. It has a stock aod, and i am thinking about dropping a T5 in it. When you do this do you need to change the computer, from an automatic calibrated computer, to a manul calibrated computer. Also what do you guys think about converting over? Thank you.

Kevyn

Posts: 31 | From: Lincoln, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no need for a computer swap when doing the Aod/t-5 conversion. As for opinions on doing the swap or not, having a 5-speed for smashing around is great. It's alot of fun banging gears around town or at the track, but it really all depends on what you are looking for in your car. If you want a quick street car with occasional track use, I would reccomend doing the swap if you like driving 5 speeds. If you are looking for an all out, balls to the wall drag race car, go with a nice auto tranny with a good stall converter. Not to say 5 speeds aren't good for drag racing, but the auto will be nice and consistant. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I can remember the hardest thing was putting the pedal assy. in. Other than that it wasn't to bad. Took me approx. 8 hrs and when I did it I knew hardly anything about 5.0's.
Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Kevyn
¯
Member # 422

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevyn  Ford pictures for Kevyn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the advice everyone. Hey Jack that is what everone tells me is that you do not need to swap the computers. Fordpny and t-topterror was it worth it to swap? Did you guys notice a big defference? Thank you!

Kevyn

99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
kev, you idiot, if your going to spend the time, should buy a T56 and do it right !! Hey Im stuck in Lincoln until wednesday give me a call then [Big Grin]

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Kevyn
¯
Member # 422

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevyn  Ford pictures for Kevyn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Joel a T56 hahahaha! Are you going to pay for it? I gave you a call last night, but you were not their. so give me a call.

Kevyn

99convcobra
¯
Member # 1339

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99convcobra  Ford pictures for 99convcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah ill pay for it, NOT call me after 6pm

--------------------
99 convertable cobra #867
SOLD 09/01/02
13.702 1/4 mile time
33.010 Autocross time
1 Tranny Smoked
3 tickets
And Counting

NEW COLLEGE CAR
98 V6,
First word "Dam this thing is slow"
11lbs Procharger in October

Posts: 475 | From: Redding at college | Registered: May 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up .6 in the 1/4. Funner to drive and a little better gas mileage. Burnout's won't be as smooth lookin' though.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im still working on other things on the car so I dunno what kind of a diffrence ive gained yet.

And T-top was right the hardest part is the pedal assembly and rerouting your speedometer cable.

If you have any question email and ill try to help you.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Kevyn
¯
Member # 422

Thanks a lot everybody!

Kevyn

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com