Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » spark

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: spark
erccobra
¯
Member # 1112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for erccobra  Ford pictures for erccobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am doing a tune up on sat.i was going to get new wires and plugs ,,i was going to get stock size wires ,,but dont know what plugs to get ,,i have heard bad things about the boshe,,i also was thinking about a 160 degree t-stat,,also i want to go synthetic ,,dont know what weight to get or what kind ,,can anyone help
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The regular 99 cent Autolite plugs work fine. Skip the 160 thermo, it won't do you any good unless you have a chip programed for it.
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno bout wires. I just had my plugs replaced recently and they put NGK platinums in (for now). I think they were like $8 or more per plug. I bet other people on this site will recommend different plugs-I just had the NGKs put in because I didn't want to have to special-order some plugs that would take a week to get here when I had already scheduled service on my car.

As far as a lowered temperature thermostat goes, I was going to swap my thermostat out and throw in a 180 degree Steeda one, but my mechanic advised me against it. He said his buddy threw a lowered thermostat into his F350 and it ended up overheating his engine during the summer, since the thermostat kept sticking wide open. He said that you might free up *Minimal* horsepower from a lowered temperature thermostat, but it isn't worth it in the long run (especially if it is an everyday driver car that gets stuck in traffic, stop and go driving in high heat, etc.).

I just went out and bought a case of Amsoil synthetic 10w-30 at Tognotti's over here in Sacramento. It cost $7 a quart. I have heard that either Amsoil or Redline is the way to go when it comes to synthetic oils.

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
---what year, cobra do you have?....dont bother with the t-stat..stay away from the 4 prong/tip "Bosch", (they caused major detonation on my 5.0)I'm running Autolite Platinums in my stock 5.0 heads(Ive tried every plug, they seem to work the best), but if you have a 4.6 I would run the NGK's, if you have the money try "Denso's, "Iridiums""....wires: Taylor, MSD, Ford Motorsports are all pretty good...(the lower the plug wire resistance the better they are)..Good Luck!

[ June 21, 2002, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
erccobra
¯
Member # 1112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for erccobra  Ford pictures for erccobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys ,,i called my dealer and they reccommend 5w-30 oil should i get that same weight when i buy my synthetic
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bought FRPP wires, I still need plugs though. [Smile]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com