Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » why does my car smell at high rpms?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: why does my car smell at high rpms?
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know if it has always done it or because I cut my tips and now i can smell my exhaust. It does it when I am fourth above 4 grand rpms. It fucking stinks. Anyone else have this problem who has there exhaust close to the inside of the car? What could it be?
JOhnny

Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problem as well. I have turndowns in front of the axel and although it makes a sweet sound i do smell exhaust like what you talked about. It is wierd that i never smell it in my car when the windows are up unless i floor it in 4th gear or if i'm in 5th gear and I let off the gas. It seems to seep up somehow. Also, the most annoying is when i have my windows down and i come to a stop the car smells like exhaust, and so do I when i get out. It sucks, i'll probably be putting tips on soon or just dumping the exhaust behind the axel and hoping it helps.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, I had turn downs on my F-350 and everytime I drove that thing I would get dizzy! The nice sound isn't worth losing those brain cells! It goes out the sides now.....

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have turndowns on mine and i never smell my exaust... every once and a while i can smell them if im at a stop but i dont ever smell them when im driving

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Spdfreak LS1
Board idiot
Member # 679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spdfreak LS1  Ford pictures for Spdfreak LS1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow thats interesting. when i saw the thread name the first thing i thougt of was someone had low gears in an automatic. for me, it was my tranny hah.. got a tranny cooler and it solved the problem. How did i get on this subject? lol. leme know if you find out what it is exactly

--------------------
Juice times to come!!
http://www.thesiccrew.com/Kevin.html
http://www.geocities.com/kevtopgun/Z28.html
12.9 and 111mph traps on Street tires.
quote:
Originally posted by FireWhore:
..... nor do i care what any of u peeps think....or me for that matter....

Posts: 2202 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
GTChink
¯
Member # 293

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTChink  Ford pictures for GTChink    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had offroad and it smelled while sitting in traffic...wife complained...so I put hi-flo cats on and it doesn't smell anymore. But now I scrape at every speedbump! [Mad] [Big Grin]

--------------------
1999 GT Twin Screwedsold.

Posts: 477 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Solid Snake
¯
Member # 719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Solid Snake  Ford pictures for Solid Snake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
I have the same problem as well. I have turndowns in front of the axel and although it makes a sweet sound i do smell exhaust like what you talked about. It is wierd that i never smell it in my car when the windows are up unless i floor it in 4th gear or if i'm in 5th gear and I let off the gas. It seems to seep up somehow. Also, the most annoying is when i have my windows down and i come to a stop the car smells like exhaust, and so do I when i get out. It sucks, i'll probably be putting tips on soon or just dumping the exhaust behind the axel and hoping it helps.

When you floor it in a tall gear like 4th or 5th, you put a big load on the engine and it runs really rich, thus the exhaust smell, such as rotten eggs, sulfer or fuel. Most of it comes from the catalytic converters. The prices we pay for high performance.

[ June 20, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Ultimate_Z28 ]

Posts: 153 | From: Livenomore, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate_Z28:
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:
[

When you floor it in a tall gear like 4th or 5th, you put a big load on the engine and it runs really rich, thus the exhaust smell, such as rotten eggs, sulfer or fuel. Most of it comes from the catalytic converters. The prices we pay for high performance.
I understand the idea that the car runs richer under a big load, and since i'm in a higher gear i go through the rpm's slower, which obviously means that i'm at WOT longer than in the lower gears, therefore producing more exhaust. However, i still don't understand why I actually smell the exhaust. I am just amazed that while going 60+ miles an hour the gas from my exhuast still finds its way in my window or up through the floor boards. Also, I have off road exhaust, so i dont have the sulfer smell you talked of. I obviously never had this problem before I installed the off road pipe.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It smells like sulfur or rotten eggs. I just have catbacks and only recently ta and pullies. It smelled before that. It starts smelling about 3-4 grand. I have the tips which I think I am going to weld back on. I felt an increase in power but the smell fuckin stinks the car up.
I am in a bind? I heard that the car might be running rich and the maf could be dirty. I cleaned the screen part and it is still doing it. Could it be that my kn is too oily. There was oil on the maf screen which I washed off. Is there any way to actually clean the maf????
JOhnny

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fact is if you want it a bit louder and you want to smell your exhaust dump it.

If you want it to be a bit quiter and not smell your exhaust then put tips back on.

Its that simple.

--------------------
Support our troops!

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

cleaning the maf worked and it went away. Thanks for the input. [patriot]
JOhnny

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com