Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What is the difference?( in 96,97,98 cobras)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the difference?( in 96,97,98 cobras)
yellow95gt
¯
Member # 1420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow95gt  Ford pictures for yellow95gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am thinking of buying one what are all the differences them, how cheap do you guys think I could find one
JSHTROD
¯
Member # 299

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JSHTROD  Ford pictures for JSHTROD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any 96-98 Cobra is a great choice. But here are some differences...

96's had a cooling recall for those who live in warm/hot climates. Also had underhood light, and strut tower brace. All 96's had a paper SVT tag on the motor. Oh yeah, don't forget, the only year Mystic color.

97's had the cooling fix from the factory. But lost the underhood light. Kept the STB, and late 97's had a metal plaque instead of the paper tag on the motor.

98's? Lost the STB, clock dash pod (clock moved to the radio), seat leather changed, center console revised (same as 99 models), more power, and different rims. It's also the only year for Bright Atlantic Blue and Chrome Yellow.

In general, the 98's are the most desireable. Ford had ironed out the small stuff and they have a computer that works better with supercharging. Not to mention the rarest colors.

Posts: 137 | From: Dublin, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98, but there are some undesireble things about them. Basically 10% of the car is 98 specific: Exhaust hangers/fuel pump/etc. It seems like the aftermarket has left out(in some areas) things for 98. Just a thought. I love mine though.

Things to appreciate...:Rims/smooth dash/interior/power/drivability. (nothing like a 5.0)

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Eastbay50
¯
Member # 1128

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eastbay50  Ford pictures for Eastbay50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
T top terror where did you get your roush rims from, and how much did you get them for? Do you still have your cobras?
Eastbay50
¯
Member # 1128

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eastbay50  Ford pictures for Eastbay50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was trying to get a set but they are pretty expensive, and they were on backorder.

[ June 18, 2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow95gt:
I am thinking of buying one what are all the differences them, how cheap do you guys think I could find one

LOL...buy mine...I need the money
[Big Grin]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by T-TopTerror:
I have a 98, but there are some undesireble things about them. Basically 10% of the car is 98 specific: Exhaust hangers/fuel pump/etc. It seems like the aftermarket has left out(in some areas) things for 98. Just a thought. I love mine though.

Things to appreciate...:Rims/smooth dash/interior/power/drivability. (nothing like a 5.0)

Nothing like a 98 5.0??? [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

So your saying 5.0's dont have power? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Support our troops!

UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

My own experience comparing my 97 Cobra (SOLD) with my 94, is that whilst I liked the 4.6 DOHC a lot, the build quality inside was noticable cheaper looking in the 97. Some of the finishing touches on the 94 are much better.

Door pockets & inside of the arm rest to name a couple.

Mark

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
So your saying 5.0's dont have power? [Roll Eyes]

Never said that, What I was implying was that the drivability smoothness and all around comfort of my newer mustang is way beyond a fox stang. The newer one's are more solidly built heavier cars which don't pick up as many road conditions. I would trade in for a pushrod motor in a second if this was my race car. My cobra is a daily driver that gets the ladies better than I can(which is hard to do). That's why I got it.

Oh and UKCobra-
I believe your 97 was just in bad shape. Don't you think they work out the kinks as they continue to build them? You really think in 94' they produced the best interior right out the gate and got worse at making it as the years past??? Doubt it.

Tristan-
My rims(used) were expensive. A roush owner bought custom 19" rims for his ride one month after buying it. Brand new w/tires $4385.00 +tax & shipping(ouch).

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Tristan-
My rims(used) were expensive. A roush owner bought custom 19" rims for his ride one month after buying it. Brand new w/tires $4385.00 +tax & shipping(ouch).

Yeah, I remember when you got those beauties.....man your wallet got small that day. [Razz]

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
yellow95gt
¯
Member # 1420

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for yellow95gt  Ford pictures for yellow95gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
poonstang

how much do you want for the car, how many miles, what mods

UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Oh and UKCobra-
I believe your 97 was just in bad shape. Don't you think they work out the kinks as they continue to build them? You really think in 94' they produced the best interior right out the gate and got worse at making it as the years past??? Doubt it.
[/QB]

I was able to compare my 94 and 97 side by side, the 97 had much cheaper and poorer quality components. Just look at the insides of the door pockets, door trim and inside of the center console. Ford were certainly saving a few dollars there. I believe 97 was the year they dropped the hood light too !

Anyway, just my opinion.

Mark

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
yellow95gt
¯
Member # 1420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow95gt  Ford pictures for yellow95gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow95gt:
poonstang

how much do you want for the car, how many miles, what mods

I live in Ga dood [Wink] don't think i'd be driving it to the West coast..and to ship it would be $$$. Thanks though!!

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
yellow95gt
¯
Member # 1420

ive driven for parts, a long way, so if the price was right i would fly and drive back or put it in a trailor, i once went to tennesse to buy a truck(454 ss), then sold it for more two days later, i drove back to west texas, then to mexico to sell it, just wondering, you never know some deals are to good to pass up, also let me know what is on it

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com