Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » FR500 Heads???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FR500 Heads???
9COBRA8
CaliforniaFords.com Owner
Member # 6

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, I need some advice-

Here is the deal... I have my bottom half of the motor done but I still need heads for my Cobra. I was trying to get Griggs to redo my orginial Cobra heads that had a shit load of work done to them but he now tells me that they can't be salvaged due to the fact that they are warped, so I have the following choices that I need help deciding:

1. Get some Lincoln Mark VIII heads, strip them down, replace the internals, and do a shit load of work to them since they don't flow as well as the Cobra heads. Cheaper cost...but then again, If I do a lot machine work, might cost me more in the long run...

2. Find some used Cobra heads that is starting to be hard to find, get the same work done to them and get things back to the way they were. Cost is a little bit more...but the ETA is about 2-3 weeks since this has been done before...

3. I was told that Ford Motorsport came out with new FR500 heads for the 96-98 Cobra to match the intake which supposedly has better air flow, less machining work, however, this is something new so I am not sure if I want to go this route... Cost is cheaper only because there is less machine work.

What would you do? Anyone know anything about this FR500 and if it has better flowing heads than the stock Cobra heads? I don't even know if it really matches the intake for the 96-98 Cobra. Something that I heard. Any input? [Roll Eyes]

[ June 15, 2002, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: 9COBRA8 ]

--------------------
-Matt
Milesblown03> Rest In Peace 12/08/02

Posts: 1668 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
9COBRA8
Member # 6

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STOKED:
What about Navagtor heads from the 5.4 [Confused]

No intake for the 5.4... I think WIKD 281 looked into that. Don't quote me on that...

--------------------
-Matt

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you looked into the ford motorsport catalogue? If they have it, it should be in there. If its there, and you can get a part #, then call ford motorsport and get some more details... new parts may or may not be cheaper than reconditioning old parts... look into all the related cost and weigh the performance /reliability vs the extra cost... the cheaper way isnt so much the better way, and the expensive route may be unneccesary...

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
9COBRA8
Member # 6

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MilesMerk:
Have you looked into the ford motorsport catalogue? If they have it, it should be in there. If its there, and you can get a part #, then call ford motorsport and get some more details... new parts may or may not be cheaper than reconditioning old parts... look into all the related cost and weigh the performance /reliability vs the extra cost... the cheaper way isnt so much the better way, and the expensive route may be unneccesary...

Miles, I totally agree with you. I need to find out about these FR500 heads and call Ford on Monday and see whats up. If they are really better than the stock Cobra heads, then I might have to be the first to try them out. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Matt

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fr500 heads are for 99-01 intake setup. I suggest getting these heads and finding a 99-01 Cobra intake. Pre fix intakes are for sale all over the place.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

9COBRA8
Member # 6

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasnake9:
fr500 heads are for 99-01 intake setup. I suggest getting these heads and finding a 99-01 Cobra intake. Pre fix intakes are for sale all over the place.

That sucks! [Frown] I was trying to stay away from switching intakes. Humm... I guess I have to stay with the Cobra heads, I guess I need to keep looking... I heard that have great flowing heads but the intake setup needs some work... Humm... [Roll Eyes]

Thanks- [Big Grin]

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

There you go matt... you needed to upgrade your intake anyway... do the 99+ intake and port the balls out of it, so it matches the flow of your new badd azz heads...

--------------------

9COBRA8
Member # 6

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 9COBRA8  Ford pictures for 9COBRA8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

There you go matt... you needed to upgrade your intake anyway... do the 99+ intake and port the balls out of it, so it matches the flow of your new badd azz heads...
HAHAHA... Swtich my setup so I can try and compete with WIKD 281?!? [Big Grin]

Which do you think will flow better if all is said and done, a perfect 98 Cobra head and intake setup or a perfect 99 FR500 head and intake setup? [Big Grin] Remember, this is N/A, so more air is more power... [dance]

--------------------
-Matt

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

quote:
Originally posted by 9COBRA8:
quote:
quote:

HAHAHA... Swtich my setup so I can try and compete with WIKD 281?!? [Big Grin]

Which do you think will flow better if all is said and done, a perfect 98 Cobra head and intake setup or a perfect 99 FR500 head and intake setup? [Big Grin] Remember, this is N/A, so more air is more power... [dance]

I think it would take more than that to compete with wikd281!! Do that and throw a nice shot on it, and yoll be cool... as for the flow... honestly, i have zero idea how well the FR500 heads flowed compared to a 98 head... i havent had any exp/info on them at all.... im curious to see how well the y compare though...keep me posted on what you find.

--------------------

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Do they make a 500wet shot? Matt> maybe a dual stage 300 shot setup would do it? he he LOL
Just kidding bro! I think go for the FR500heads from the info. that you have gathered so far> we'll have to check how much and availablity>
There are some guys on the corral that are starting to port the intakes> have to do some research there and find out how much they gained?
Late.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you plan on going with the FR500 heads I suggest the FR500 intake too. Dual mass air sensors and alot more flow.
Otherwise - go with ported cobra heads. I believe retaining/reusing all your stock peices better fits a budget.

Reminder: Problems follow custom setups......

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Mike
¯
Member # 59

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike  Ford pictures for Mike    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford claims that they flow 20% better on the intake side,and 15% better on the exhaust over production Cobra heads. They are bare,and can use all your stock valves,cams,springs,etc.

Ford part # M-6049-T46 (Bare head right side)
# M-6050-T46 (Bare head left side)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
1998 Mystic Teal Z28 M6

Posts: 411 | From: Fremont,CA US | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
Ford claims that they flow 20% better on the intake side,and 15% better on the exhaust over production Cobra heads. They are bare,and can use all your stock valves,cams,springs,etc.

Ford part # M-6049-T46 (Bare head right side)
# M-6050-T46 (Bare head left side)

[Big Grin]

HHmm... if a stock 4v head flows about 260-270 cfm, and the FR500 heads flow better by15-20%, that would be about....300-325ish cfm intake... damn thats pretty good. Thats a healthy flow increase

--------------------

BlueOvalRacing
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sent you a pm
:
S281Cobra
NOTAFKE
Member # 338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S281Cobra  Ford pictures for S281Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Matt

I don't know if you checked yet, but the places I've seen sell those heads, have been selling them for $750 each bare.

The FR500 intake is not currently available with no eta that I've seen, but rumor has it that it'll be $2500 bare.

I've been really tempted to but those heads, I even got my hands on a prefix '99 intake.....just haven't found anyone who wants to install them yet.

Kevin

--------------------
Italian Horses & Bulls
Stuttgart, Ingolstadt & some on order

Posts: 456 | From: Bay Area, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com