Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Thouhts on ZEX nitrous? anyone have/recommend?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thouhts on ZEX nitrous? anyone have/recommend?
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was looking into a 75 shot nitrous kit and was reading about ZEX. Does any have this setup? I like the fact that you arm it, then when at WOT it sprays until you let off. Any down sides to this. My engine is stock will i melt anything,valves?

How much should my ET drop considerig traction with 75 shot?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would stay away from the Zex kit. It will give you maybe 40 hp with their 75 shot. The full throttle switch can be used on any system, and is very good. It really helps when you have a stick. You wont have any problems with a stock motor, on anything up to 150hp. As long as you follow the manufacturers instructions, and use decent gas.
The NX kit I sell, is adjustable up to 150 hp, and has been proven on a chassis dyno, to give you the "rear wheel HP" that their kit says. Their 100 shot, will actually give you around 105 rear wheel hp. No joke, and very safe. If you are interested, email me and I can give you more info. I have helped alot of imports out with their ZEX kits, and none have ever produced anything close to what they claim.

[ June 15, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: customN2O ]

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Mystic Z AKA Ugly Z
¯
Member # 484

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystic Z AKA Ugly Z  Ford pictures for Mystic Z AKA Ugly Z  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A guy at my work just put a zex kit on his 97 mustang. It's a 75 shot and he said he's really pleased with the kit. The purple bottle is kinda well... yeah. but overall the kit looks like it's good quality and easy to install.

--------------------
99Z28
FOR SALE:
(916)223-7297

Threesixes
¯
Member # 1408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Threesixes  Ford pictures for Threesixes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Zex kit on my 96 GT convertible and the 75 shot took it from a pathetic 15.8 to a 14.01. Couldnt put in the 100 shot jets at the track cause I cant run 13's without a roll bar, but it feels to hit twice as hard as the 75 shot. The kit is easy to install and appears to be of high quality. I have been running it for a few months now with no problems. I would highly recommend this kit.
Posts: 63 | From: Concord, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A true 100 hp to a 16 second car, should give it about 2 seconds better ET. You like the fact that the car picks up.....But, take it to a chassis dyno sometime, and see what you are really making....Close to 40 or 50 hp on what they say is a 75 shot. If you are happy with it, then good for you...But if you are looking for full performance, then you wont get what you need from the Zex.

--------------------

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Zex kit is a "Dry" kit. Stay away from the dry kits. [Smile] Peace

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Drift-GT:
The Zex kit is a "Dry" kit. Stay away from the dry kits. [Smile] Peace

What is so bad about dry kits? Some people say it would be the safest way to go with my engine, i hear wet kits can puddle in the intake, then KABOOM! I just want a quick power adder for when i wanna hit some 13's, perhaps mid to lower 13's.

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Double Post! [Mad]

[ June 16, 2002, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: 98StangPower ]

--------------------

Threesixes
¯
Member # 1408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Threesixes  Ford pictures for Threesixes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn run a wet kit unless it was direct port. Our intakes are not designed to flow fuel. All that gas can puddle in the intake and "kaboom" I'd rather run a little less RWHP and be safe. And if you want more power, I dont see whats so hard about changing jets? If the Zex kit is overrated, and I dont doubt that it is, Just run the 125 jets if you want 100 hp. Right?
Posts: 63 | From: Concord, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
.....Their 100 shot, will actually give you around 105 rear wheel hp. No joke, and very safe..... I have helped alot of imports out with their ZEX kits, and none have ever produced anything close to what they claim.

If the 100hp kit your talking about produces 105hp at th wheels, then imagine the power it produces at the motor....possibly too much for the motor.

I believe that the reason your not seeing hp numbers on the dyno is because it's actually only producing what it is rated at on the motor. I know you still see vast improvements in low end(>3000rpm) torque though.

The ZEX kit in my eyes is a great "kit". Any custom setup tailored to your car could be better but for a kit I believe their setup is sweet.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ok, here it goes. ZEX, NOS, and other brands dont make the power they claim, cause they just give you a fat ass tune. I could get into Nozzle designs too, but I doubt you would even understand what Im saying. When you have a "fat" tuneup, with a nozzle that is very poor in atomization, you run into the problem where the fuel is "puddling" in the combustion chamber, and even the manifold. This puddled fuel doesnt burn, so you dont make any hp. So now you say put the bigger jets in it, and make the smaller number you really want...Well, the problem with that is now your adding alot more fuel, thus making that poorly atomizing nozzle even worse. Eventually that "safe" tuneup that you think you have, turns distructive, cause it starts lifting the ring lands on the pistons. I could go on for days, if you really want me too.
You say that the HP ratings is on motor? Not true. Done much tuning on different kits, and NOS and Zex wont make the HP they claim on that dyno either. Talk to anyone who runs an NOS kit somewhat decent, and ask them what jets they are running. Most likely they will tell you its a secret...Why a secret? For a given amount of oxidizer, you need a given amount of fuel to burn. This will equal the HP you are looking for. No secret. The reason I sell NX, is becuase it is the best designed kit on the market. Their nozzles way out atomize any other nozzle on the market. This means no more fuel puddling, and you dont have to search for the secret tune to make the HP you want.
I have put many kits on mustangs, imports, GMs. The 150 RWHP that the kit will give you, will not hurt your motor. Even if thats actually 225 hp at the motor. The kits were designed around the stock components. You would be surprised at how much those stock motors can handle. I have sprayed 200 hp to stock motors many times, with no problems. NOt suggesting you do it, unless you really know how to tune, and know what to look for. But it can be done.
Im not rambling a bunch of BS to get you to buy my stuff, just trying to help out some people who really want to know what the best kit out there is. I havent had an unsatisfied customer yet, and every single car I have put my kit on that had someone elses kit, couldnt believe the difference.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So what kit out there would be the best for a stock motor for a 75 shot?

--------------------
Support our troops!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt waste my time only running a 75shot.

you will want more anyway

best bolt on deal with ease of setup is nitrous works.

best kit in MY OPINION is the 10,000 RPM plate kits but good luck finding one.

I use NX stuff.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris_67_SC_408  Ford pictures for Chris_67_SC_408  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Paxton
Posts: 716 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
flatacid is selling a brand new zex kit if you're gonna get one

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

I just want something for my 98 that will not do much damage, i know any power adder you add to your car isnt the best thing for it. I want something that will be the safest for a stock motor, and that it can handle without my engine being blown apart or intake cracking, i figure 75 shot for times i want to hit 13's, and that should be safe, i dont want to have to tune my car every month to run nitrous. I want to bolt this shit on and go, without damaging my intake or internals of my stock motor. The only mods i have are listed earlier in the thread...

CustomN20, what kinda setup would you recommend? I wanna arm the nitrous and then when i hit 3000 rpm's i want the juice to spray and stop spraying before 5500 rpm's... Help me with this..

--------------------

MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CustomN20:

How much is your 100 shot kit going for? I may be interested.

Posts: 1799 | From: SJ/Campbell, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Bounty Hunter
¯
Member # 1422

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bounty Hunter  Ford pictures for Bounty Hunter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the nx system is the only way to go. I used nos before but the nx systems are a much better choice, no matter what HP level your looking for.I run nx on my car now and it works great and easy to tune.
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

I would suggest the "stock" mustang kit. It is a single nozzle, adjustable from 75-150 hp. ALL THESE SETTINGS ARE SAFE on a stock mustang. Nothing else needs to be on the car. Any more upgrades will just help to make more power. I GUARANTEE these kits to make more power then any other kit on the market! They are totally safe, and you dont have to ask someone for special tuneup, to make the power you really want. The 100 hp setting, will make over 100 hp to the rear wheels, or youre doing something wrong. No other kit will do that, without custom jetting, etc. I sell this kit for 460. Bottle is shipped empty. Comes with EVERYTHING you need to install on car. The only other thing I recomend is the GenX2 upgrade, which comes with a purge valve, automatic bottle heater, NHRA safety valve and blow down tube, and a fuel pressure safety switch. This sells for 320. Guaranteed CHEAP. All kits are brand new and warranted.

--------------------

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

For the question about setting rpm limits. There are 2 ways of doing it. I recomend a full throttle switch. It turns the nitrous on at full throttle, when the system is armed. When you shift and take your foot off the throttle, it shuts off, but is back on again at full throttle. Another way of doing it is with a MSD window switch. You set the on-off rpms that you want the kit to work at. I dont sell these, but you can get them from anyone who deals with MSD.

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
For the question about setting rpm limits. There are 2 ways of doing it. I recomend a full throttle switch. It turns the nitrous on at full throttle, when the system is armed. When you shift and take your foot off the throttle, it shuts off, but is back on again at full throttle. Another way of doing it is with a MSD window switch. You set the on-off rpms that you want the kit to work at. I dont sell these, but you can get them from anyone who deals with MSD.

How will the full throttle work with an auto, does it keep spraying until i let off the gas?

[ June 18, 2002, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: 98StangPower ]

--------------------

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Yes, as long as you are at full throttle and the system is armed, the nitrous will be on. Thats how I use it on my own car. If the car gets a little squirley, I back off the throttle, and the nitrous automatically shuts off, till I hammer it down again.

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Where you located at? It might be a month or two, but i think you have me talked into the setup we are talking about. Could you e-mail me the cost of what everything would be, including the GenX2 upgrade, which comes with a purge valve, automatic bottle heater, NHRA safety valve and blow down tube, and a fuel pressure safety switch.

Ryeman707@aol.com

So if im at a dead stop and smash the gas, while armed it will spray, even if below 3000 rpm? Won't that do some damage? Sorry for all the questions. [worship]

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok people check this out.

The way the freakin crackhead dry kits add the additional fuel is by spiking fuel pressure.

Do you realize what happens when this is done to a stock or close to stock injector?

Also as far as the intakes only being able to flow air and not fuel then get a wet kit that is at the plenum base.

Not to mention that is a pure B.S. cop out.

If it flows air well it will flow atomized fuel and or nitrous just as good.

Shit heads are measured in CFM and a flow bench is just AIR but what do those intake runners flow??

Atomized fuel.

WET KITS hands down.

Try it yourself put a dry kit on and then put a wet kit on and jet it the same. The wet kit hits way harder.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com