Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Camshaftless motors.....Aaron C and a few others that care

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Camshaftless motors.....Aaron C and a few others that care
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Today Im droppin some kids off at the pool and while sitting there Im thumbing through good ole popular mechanics and what the hell do I read?

Well first I read about the new gas motor out with no valves using discs and plates and a piston and rings...

So I think to myself..HA!!!! another 2 stroke hahhahaahah then I read further and NO it is NOT a 2 stroke it is a 4 stroke and to make me pucker even harder the damn thing makes 69hp (whoopie) and is 1.6 cubic inches (soooo) and the thing makes 200ft/lbs of torque?? WHAT??? 200 WHAT??? yeah that is what they are ABLE to measure.....

so grrrrrrrrrr I say who cares they are ugly and wont bolt up to a T-5 [Smile] hehehehe

So then I cruise further and start to read about camshafts, or should I say lack of?

Yeah I seen the old solenoid idea a few years back and thought....yeah Ill live to see that one work (yeah RIGHT).

Well 10,000 miles in a diesel and 10,000 miles in a gas motor so far.

So what does this mean to us?

I guess it is only a matter of time until you see the new heads out that bolt onto our lovely 5.0liter or 4.6 and use these idependent controlable solenoids for our valve/spring setup.

Imagine being able to control duration overlap centerline and lift throughout the RPM band????

God makes you want to invest money into the software that will be out soon to control the damn solenoids.

Long story short I guess those 295 dollar custom cams will be a thing of the past? [Frown]

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, that'd be sweet!
Put in a soft tune for smog/street/gas mileage, then with a flip of a switch dial in a Crazy lumpy Track burner!

I posted some Ideas I had about that on the Corral a while back. The idea's been around for years. I guess those SOB's finally did it!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah and imagine being able to inject fuel and nitrous in along with the same cam tune.

Oh boy.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd gladly dump my cam or any cam for a setup like that regardless of $$$. I heard someone talking about that once. It's an awesome idea. Hopefully they can make it work.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris_67_SC_408  Ford pictures for Chris_67_SC_408  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont solenoids often stick when they get hot?
Posts: 716 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I dont know Chris we would have to ask the guy with the motor that has them in it and has gone 10,000 miles so far.

Im sure they are not your average NAAWWWWSS

solenoids mang.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dan, I think you sit on the shitter for just to damn long!!!!!! Pinch that kid and get back to work.

P.S. It is kinda cool though

Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just too add to the technology overload-
The new BMW 7 series does not use a throttle body- engine rpm is controlled by varying the intake valves lift and timing...

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GM had a concept motor for the caddy, it had pneumatic controled valves, the thing would pump out over 750 hp and still get better gas mileage than most cars today with a non lead foot [Big Grin] it was also 7.5 liter v12 but it could shut off half of the cylinders at cruise rpm? weird.
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dan, last summer I remember hearing that the new bmw motors were running something like this. I could've been wrong though. Anyway, I thought, that would be f!@#in sick on a 5.0. A custom system that you could, say connect to a laptop, and program. Kinda like an EEC tuner or twEECer. The possibilites would be endless... SO sick

--------------------
'91 blue/gray GT -SOLD :(
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
Dan, I think you sit on the shitter for just {EDIT} too damn long!!!!!! Pinch that kid and get back to work.

P.S. It is kinda cool though

Thanks Scott but hey man it is more than just kinda cool.

They thought that the EFI 5.0 and centrifugual superchargers where KINDA neat back in the day and now look

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by roseville5oh:
Dan, last summer I remember hearing that the new bmw motors were running something like this. I could've been wrong though. Anyway, I thought, that would be f!@#in sick on a 5.0. A custom system that you could, say connect to a laptop, and program. Kinda like an EEC tuner or twEECer. The possibilites would be endless... SO sick

I beleive the M5 uses something similar to this....
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nickn:
GM had a concept motor for the caddy, it had pneumatic controled valves, the thing would pump out over 750 hp and still get better gas mileage than most cars today with a non lead foot [Big Grin] it was also 7.5 liter v12 but it could shut off half of the cylinders at cruise rpm? weird.

that is supposed to be in the cien car by caddy. that was a good article. but caddy has had that shut off technology for a long time. but that is definately interesting article dan.

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My race car has no cams hehehehe. It's a had concept to grasp.

- 1.3L
- 3 Moving Parts
- 2 rotors
- Want to race? [Smile]

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Sure drift we can race.

Remember no cams could still use some cubes [Wink]

or should I say liters?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn “PunkINa5.SLOW” I did not know that you were going to take it that personally:
#1 I was joking.
#2 That line is off my Rotary News.com T-Shirt.
#3 If you want to run I will take you on at any road course or Auto-X, my GTUs is not built for drag racing I stopped doing that in high school.

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Eastbay50
¯
Member # 1128

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eastbay50  Ford pictures for Eastbay50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you too cool to drag race? lol. Im a little offended because im out of high school and i like to drag race....What do you have against drag racing? geez. I cant believe this.
Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ok first off I would like to apologize about yesterday. I was cranky and acted like an ass [Frown] . I am sorry if I offended any one about the drag racing comment. It was my main thing back in High School but now I am into road racing and Auto-X’ing. Not saying that I will not take my 02 GT to the strip and see what she can do. So Tristan and Punk sorry for being an ass.

P.S. BTW Punk because you are so into rebuilding motors, have you ever seen the internals on a rotary? You should check it out when I rebuild mine during the off season (winter).

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Drift its cool man I was just pokin fun mang.

I have seen the internals of a rotary and with the machining tolerances I dont see how do it yourselfers get away with it [Smile]

Sounds like fun.

I once had a rotary motorcycle.
I sold it last year tho.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com