Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Opinions needed please!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions needed please!
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so my 1991 gt mustang has almost clicked over to the 140,000 miles....I have not too much more to pay on my loan. When i pay off my loan i'm going to take out another loan for around $6-$7,000.

I was thinking of buying and having a dealer install:

302 gt-40long block Engine assembly wich is $3,495. It supposed to generate 340hp.

Then have the dealer install that. How much does it usual cost for them to take out the old motor and install a new motor???? Do you think i have a good idea or what do you guys think i should do with this money???? Please be detailed thanks a lot for your time.

--------------------
Support our troops!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No way man.

That is a rip off.

That motor is not worth 2400 let alone 3400.

Also they rape you on an install.

If you really want to build a motor and have it installed BUT dont want to do it yourself, then I can help.

Even if you DONT come to me dont go to the crooked dealer.

Not worth it man.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
No way man.

That is a rip off.

That motor is not worth 2400 let alone 3400.

Also they rape you on an install.

If you really want to build a motor and have it installed BUT dont want to do it yourself, then I can help.

Even if you DONT come to me dont go to the crooked dealer.

Not worth it man.

Then what kind of motor should i buy and where should i buy it from?

--------------------
Support our troops!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CHP has motors ready to go.

Dennis at CCM has motors ready to go.

I can build you a motor

I can rebuild your old motor with heads/intake cam arp studs rod bolts etc

tons of choices

Ask Ted off of here ask Tristan off of here ask Big Matt off of here

Ask Manny off of here ask Sexxy 94 GT off of here (not yet still working on their cars [Smile] .

That is too much money for what little motor that is man.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can probably get a stroker block w/ really nice heads for about that price.(maybe closer to $4k)
Swapping motors is not very expensive.....i'd say $800 tops.
But then you may want to dyno tune it...could be another $300

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, maybe none of my biz! but!!! your almost don't with payments on your car? and u want to take out another lone? WHY? that's money that could be going to mods on your exsisting motor. no offence but why the hell buy another motor? all you need is a good block with no cracks. every thing els is just add ons. i don't know your financial status. buti'm all about haveing as little bills as posible. i have friends that r 20-30 grand in debt. they 're my inspiration fo rhaving as little bills as possible. so u don't get teh straight out the box big shit engine right away. but hey save and save. peace by peace little bye little. hey teh money that would go to the lone per month can be toward custom chosen parts for the engine. anyways. u konw what your gonna do. just makin a suggestion [Razz] peace

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

93venom
¯
Member # 778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93venom  Ford pictures for 93venom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree, id go with a chp 347e street fighter, i guess this is an emmision legal 347 shortblock, built with decent parts for cheaper than that 302. you need your own heads though.

--------------------
93 cobra #3445
1988 ranger-302 in progress
2003 ranger fx4 level 2

Greenandsilver
¯
Member # 1371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greenandsilver  Ford pictures for Greenandsilver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
i agree, id go with a chp 347e street fighter, i guess this is an emmision legal 347 shortblock, built with decent parts for cheaper than that 302. you need your own heads though.

Do you know how much their long block is? Every time I go to their site, I have trouble finding my way around because half the buttons don't show up or work.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0

Posts: 91 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford Motorsports sells a 347 shortblock for like $2400, not a bad setup with some AFR 185's and the rest of your current motor's front dress.
most people bag on Ford's use of hyper pistons in all their motors though. Arguably you can do better.

check the 5.0 issue where they asked about 10 engine builders to come up with a 350 ish HP combo and it shows the complete combo. Was withinn the last year.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Manny
¯
Member # 23

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Manny  Ford pictures for Manny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dan is right, dont go to the dealer, they going to rip you off hella bad. like Dan said, ask any of this guys.

As soon as I come up with some money, Im going ask Dan to put a motor together for my car and ill provably team up the new motor with a lengteh tranny. This set-up that Im planning should be a good one. if its not, Dan, please help! Tell me what you think.

Later!

[ June 06, 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Manny ]

--------------------
Manny...

Posts: 495 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill let you know how my motor is running (DSS 331 with AFR 185's).
[worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
really. i can't stand to think of loan payments again.

what i plan to do, is gather all the parts, then get some machine work, then goto someone who can walk me through putting the engine together, and then dropping it in. it seems like one of the cheapest way to go. plus, you learn alot as you go. dan seems to be the man to talk to, and hopefully he'll help me put together my engine when the time comes. [Smile]

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for 7 grand, you could build one hell of a motor. Talk to Dan, he will stear you in the right direction, and builds alot of ford motors. I know I could build a 10 second motor for a chevrolet with 7 grand, so I know it can be done with a ford. Dont buy assembled, pick your parts and build your own motor...Will save you lots of money in the end, and have alot more for your money also.
Call DanMotherF**kenStarkey...

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about keeping the same block i have and rebuilding it with better pistons/rods/heads/etc. and put a blower on it and maybe get it stroked to a 331???

Let me know what you guys think, so far i think i'm leaning towards dan mutha fukin starkey doing it for me though so far from what i have gathered. [Smile]

Fuck the dealer. [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Chris_67_SC_408
¯
Member # 936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris_67_SC_408  Ford pictures for Chris_67_SC_408  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It has to pass smog right?
Posts: 716 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_67_SC_408:
It has to pass smog right?

Yes it does.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com