Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MSD Dis-4 settings for blown cobra?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MSD Dis-4 settings for blown cobra?
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone want to share their dipswitch settings for a boosted 4.6?

right now i have it taking out 10* starting at 4k, there is still some barely discernable pinging, so i figure either i need more fuel, or need to back off the timing a bit more

any suggestions?

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rob, whats your entire fuel system setup? Are your heads/intake/cam stock? How much boost? Did your new bottem end drop your compression ratio?
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dunno what's in the tank, but the vortech kit comes with a t rex, so i figure that's the one i can see when i look under the car. stock rails, stock injectors (42lb coming any day), ported heads, SHM blower cams, stock intake, imrc stock (for now), compression ratio 9.85:1, Manley forged Pistons, Manley Forged rods, trimetal bearings, race-prepped block (all casting flash ground smooth), detailed crankshaft, studs everywhere, Canton road race oil pan (sure glad i put that piece on the way i drive around here!!!!!!!), canton windage tray, 62mm t/b, c&l 80mm MAS, Vortech @ about 6lb boost...

i think that about covers everything major...

--------------------
98 Cobra

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

i'm thinking it's fuel, but at WOT, i can't look at the gauges very easily on the street.
plus, it's so fast, it could be really bad to not pay attention.

she pulls hard all the way to the limiter, which i think i'll set at 7k rpm until we can reprogram the chip.

the clutch is going south fast...
[Roll Eyes] Gee! i wonder why??? [Roll Eyes]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
[dance]

--------------------
98 Cobra

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock the cobra's come w/a 190 intank. W/ 6#s you shouldnt be pinging at all...I think a dyno tune is in order.. Wait.. i didnt see you mention a FUM in your list there?? W/ the stock 24# inj, you REALLY need this to be in order.. W/ the 42s not so much..Next on the list would be the C&l mass air.. Im sure ST5150 will share his dislike of that meter any time now.
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think its cause they detailed your crankshaft.

Prolly alot of armor all still on it.

p.s.

This is a joke, Rob [Smile]

oh yeah and ill bring that lower intake to the cue on Sunday.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

actually, i won't be making it, hopefully...
i am hoping to be at a mustang show in so. cal. (woodley Park), though my car isn't show-worthy, i have an old friend who needs a visit! he drives a sweet 1996 GT with all the bolt-ons and a blower, too! I can send you the money, just pop me your address (email, pm or call me) and i'll get it right out. i'm sorry to keep you hanging this long, and should have paid you long ago. what was i thinking? [Roll Eyes]

yes, i forgot the FMU...
with all the LSD i did in the '70s it's amazing my swiss-cheese of a brain works at all! [Eek!]

i could possibly stop on the way back up, but i tend to drive very late at night...

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

it had a lot of the work done before i got it, so i'm not sure if they boosted the in-tank pump as well as adding the external pump when the blower went in. i owuld think they would have, but you never know. it has lower control arms, but not uppers...back tires were fine, fronts were for shit...hard to know with this car...

did i mention the headers?

it sounds so fucking wild!
like a NASCAR motor howling in the night...
wow...

[dance] [dance]

--------------------
98 Cobra

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you still want the intake you can send the loot, if not dont worry about it mang.

I have tons of other folks that want/ed it.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, i most definitely want it!
that windsor is going to be one nasty efi monster!
i'll put it in the little 4-eyed-notch
[Smile]

--------------------
98 Cobra

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well it can be 100 little things.. I would be happy to look at it if your ever in the area or the track.. Just wondering.. when was the last time you changed your fuel filter ? if your starving the t-rex things will get ugly.. Can you hear the T-REX cycle when you turn the car on? It might be as simple as the heat outside.. its been hot the past few days on the sac area.. will it detonate at night when its cool out ? what plugs do you have in it ? I like the TR-6's .. what thermostat do you have in it ? you NEED to keep it as cool as possible.. call UPR and get a 160 thermostat for it(25$) .. then a fan switch untill you can have it programed into the chip..
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as soon as the injectors arrive, i'll take it to apex for a chip/tune...
i just got the car back, only about 600 miles on the fresh motor.plugs are tr6, i haven't replaced the 'stat, so i don't know what's in there. i would imagine they replaced it @ force fed when they installed the motor, but i'm not sure.

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

by the way...

the question (which hasn't even been addressed yet) is what are your dip switches set at on your MSD boxes?

Only dis-4 users with supercharged applications need apply.

there are 3 banks of eight switches on the end panel, the switches are set to 'on' or 'off'

the information should be listed in this form:

1 off/off/off/on/on/off/on
2 off/off/off/on/off/on/off
3 on/on/on/off/off/off/off

those are just examples, your settings (and mine) will vary.

thanks again!
rob

--------------------
98 Cobra

Marion Cobretti
¯
Member # 727

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marion Cobretti  Ford pictures for Marion Cobretti    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am taking 5 degrees of timing out starting at 4000 RPM with 10 psi of boost. Are you aftercooled or non? That will make a differance. Here is what my dip switches are set at.

SW1 Off/Off/Off/On/Off/On/On/On
SW2 Off/On/On/Off/On/Off/On/Off
SW3 Off/Off/Off/Off/On/On/Off/Off

My Motor is all stock though I`m sure that also makes a differance.

--------------------
Bassanni X Pipe with cats
2 Chamber Flowmaster`s
MSD Dis 4 with MSD Plug Wires
Vortech Supercharger with Aftercooler
Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

so, with 6lb of boost, pulling 10*, starting at 4000 rpm, i shouldn't be detonating at all if my fuel supply was sufficient. at least, not if you can run 10lb only pulling 5*.

i knew that the injectors would be a bit on the small side for the car once the mods were done...

thanks mucho!
[Big Grin]

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

oh wait...
you do have an aftercooler...
that's gotta be good for a few * of timing...
maybe 10 isn't so far off.
i may bump it to 12* of retard from 4k to 7k rpm to see if that solves the problem

--------------------
98 Cobra

6shooter
¯
Member # 1246

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6shooter  Ford pictures for 6shooter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i installed a paxton n2k on my 96 cobra. first tried it with stock fuel inj, way too lean. then added 42lb inj, air/fuel was fine then but spark was being blown out at 6000rpm. then added a dis-4 also. while waiting for new chip i played with timing adj, fuel pres reg, and the dis-4. the dis-4 cured the spark blowing out problem imediatly, but it was pinging bad at 5500+. i went as much as 8deg retard starting at 4000. i could not get the pinging to go away. just got my new chip back, istalled it, and no ping at all. the program is 3% richer and 18deg. car pulles very hard, fuel pres is betweem rich and lean(stoich), and no pinging all the way up to 7100.
6shooter
¯
Member # 1246

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6shooter  Ford pictures for 6shooter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry, the program was 3% leaner and 18 deg timing. the chip tuner said to watch for detnation, but i cannot hear any pinging what so ever. good luck.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com