Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » More 3550 troubleshooting info....(st5150, punk...)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: More 3550 troubleshooting info....(st5150, punk...)
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I posted awhile back about a vibration I was getting with my new 3550 between 3000 and 4000 rpm. Even standing still so not driveshaft or output shaft related. I pulled the tranny out and the Throwout bearing seemed to be sitting off center a little bit. Could that have caused the vibration? Also, I have a CF dual friction clutch, it looks like the ring weights on the pressure plate might be tweaked. anyone else ever experience this? You guys have any other thoughts? Can i yank my flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate and take it to a machine shop to check for balance? Do they do that kind of shit? I borrowed Shauns 3550, so after i check this shit, i might throw his in.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Throw out bearings are suppose to be like that. As for the centerforce clutch, I don't have much experience with them, I helped pull one out a while back and never looked at it closely. Anything pressure plate, fly wheel or disc related can cause your problems.

I also assume you've looked at the obvious problems.... any part of the exhaust touching the floor pan or frame will cause these vibration.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JPH331 is gonna be the best person to speak with on this.

Not sure when he will be back in town.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here's the throwout. this wasn't the problem:

Checked other stuff like exhuast to floor clearance and everything was good. and again, what baffles me is how it comes and goes just between 3k and 4k rpms.

--------------------
'91 blue/gray GT -SOLD :(
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ok, I think i figured it out. I really hope this was the problem.

1. The centering weights and ring must have got pushed out of center because it left a wear mark on the clutch fingers, this was how i pulled it out of the car:

2. This is how the centering weights should be. when centered correctly, you can see wear the centering ring was sitting:

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ok, I think i figured it out. I really hope this was the problem.

1. The centering weights and ring must have got pushed out of center because it left a wear mark on the clutch fingers, this was how i pulled it out of the car:

2. This is how the centering weights should be. when centered correctly, you can see wear the centering ring was sitting:

3. you can see how badly it was sitting off center here in this pic where i marked the distances:

So, now i've centered the weights and i think that should fix it. That would explain why i felt the vibes even with the clutch engaged, disengaged or tranny in neutral because the pressure plate is always spining proportionally with the flywheel(obviously). Well i'm gonna get it back together. Should be done in a few hours. I'll report back

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm glad you found the problem. I can't get over the fact that you made an animated GIF for this post!
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I'm glad you found the problem. I can't get over the fact that you made an animated GIF for this post!

Yeah, i was bored. Have to use the new digital cam for something. Yeah, hopefully this is the fix. Haven't had a chance to check it, so we'll see in the morning.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hehe, erics a computer nerd! lol just kidding.
glad to see you found out the problem. so, whats the final verdict on the motor combo? if you have one yet

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
hehe, erics a computer nerd! lol just kidding.
glad to see you found out the problem. so, whats the final verdict on the motor combo? if you have one yet

Definately gonna do twins, but that will probably be a few years into the future. I'll just build the new motor beef dog with about 10.5-1/11-1 comp. and a nasty cam and leave it till I get the twins. Then i'll put low comp. pistons in it and a custom turbo cam. Should be nice!

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

so, i went and drove the car. The vibes are still there, but minimal and across more RPM's. The problem is definately the clutch and the centering weights. The ring that holds the weights in a circle is getting tired. So, now it's time for a new clutch... any recommendations?

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[corral.net]
YEAH! get a spec stage III!!!
[/corral.net]

[patriot]

MustyTang
I love chocolate girls
Member # 896

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustyTang  Ford pictures for MustyTang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn...great pics and info along with it. I learned something in this post [dance]

--------------------
2004 Dark Shadow Gray Mustang GT

Posts: 2178 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
[corral.net]
YEAH! get a spec stage III!!!
[/corral.net]

[patriot]

I've heard good stuff about the SPEC's. how do they stack up against RAM and McLeod?

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com