Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Shortie Headers installation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Shortie Headers installation
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody install shortie headers on a 4.6 if so can you give me a quick overview of the installation. Thanks.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a JBA shortie installation overview - click here.

I should add that I went with the JBA 1 5/8" shorties, and they are a huge pita. Just no way to get to the bolts without dropping the k-member & lowering the engine. Some of the other problems/notes are:
1) Holes didn't line up on the drivers side - enlarged the holes on the hearder 1 size - bolted up perfect after that.
2) JBA supplies no gasket with the 1 5/8" headers, they say use your existing gaskets. WTF is that? Hope it works cause that's what we did.
3) the egr valve tube didn't line up with the header/threads - loosened the tube on the top of the engine and this gave enough play in it to attach to the drivers side header... then reattach at the top. No problems when doing it this way.
4) stage 8 locking bolts are a must purchase item. Don't do it without using these puppies.

As I said - shorties are a real pain in the ass on the 4.6's. Not something for the faint of heart, lack of fortitude, or those who like to use sledge hammers [Wink] . Take your time and be meticulous - the last thing you want is to have to deal with a header leak. Not really worth the HP gains though (long tubes are best) - but at least they do look sweet when your done [Big Grin] .
Pic 1
Pic 2

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info. How did the car feel after you installed them. Do you have any HP/torque numbers for them.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

e-dogg
¯
Member # 678

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for e-dogg  Ford pictures for e-dogg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its been proven that shorties don't do a damn thing for performance on the 4.6 get some longtubes if you struggle to install the shorties you might as well struggle to put the longtubes in you might get i think 3-4 hp with shorties not worth it compared to 15-20 with longtubes jmo

--------------------
auto,vrs x-pipe,mac longtubes,flows up next: trying to get rid of everything work 2, 3 jobs to get a ws6 ls1 here i come

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01YellowCobra  Ford pictures for 01YellowCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car "feels" pretty solid, but a stationary object always is [Wink] . Here's a pic of the car as she sat today about noontime...

Kinda look like a limp dick dog with the new exhaust pipe hangin' there [Eek!] . But anyway, I don't really subscribe to a "one mod adds xxx HP" - it's a cumliative thing. I got the 100mm densecharger, now the headers, magnaflow x-pipe w/high flow cats, the Steeda Catback, and will also be putting on the underdrive pullies with this mod series (and some suspension stuff too). this will give the car much better flow. Add a dyno and a custom burned chip - I think I'll see about 350 to 360 HP at the crank, or about 30 to 40 more HP then stock.

It'll be out of the shop next week. I should have the Dyno done middle of next month - we'll see what numbers we get then.

e-dogg : I hear you loud and clear man... and I agree. If you are going to stay normally asperated, don't plan on doing any future mods to the clutch or transmission, then long tube are the only way to go. Not meaning to sound like I don't understand your point - just that none of the above applies to my situation, so shorties are better for my future plans. Either way you go - it's better then stock.

[ May 24, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: YellowSnake ]

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

For the mods that I have and the direction I'm taking the car. Shortie Headers are the way for me to go also.

Eric did you get the magnapaks put on?

YellowSnake, You'll like the mods that your putting on, the car will pull very hard. Funny, my name is also Mark K [Big Grin]

01YellowCobra
¯
Member # 600

quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
YellowSnake, You'll like the mods that your putting on, the car will pull very hard. Funny, my name is also Mark K [Big Grin]

I'm thinking this should do pretty good for starters. Still debating on which direction to take (blown or N/A) - looking at the SHM (Accufab) high-flow oval throttle body & intake manifold... but since runner length is dependent on blown or N/A - I'm holding off on buying anything else until I decide.

So you're Mark K too.... well - I'm the "shit magnet" Mark, nothing ever goes as smoothly as it should. If it can get screwed up, it will. Story of my life [Big Grin] .

erccobra
¯
Member # 1112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for erccobra  Ford pictures for erccobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you put long tubes on a lowered 98snake

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com