Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 302 in a miata swap? any links/references?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 302 in a miata swap? any links/references?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
now that I finally got my car running again (cough*6monthsofhell*cough), I was contemplating picking up a junked miata (90 or so, dunno, just to be cheap) with a more or less straight body (not a big deal to me, lol) and then one of them ubiquitous 302 motors to land in there. I hear people are doing it, and I figure a heads/cam/intake/exhaust 302 in a miata should tear some ass, no? opinions?
Figure a completely non-stripped miata+iron block 302 weighing in around 2400 lbs, full interior and everything, A/C, the works.

Little nose heavy, but hey. Or would an LT1/SBC swap into a 240z be a better bet?
looking for a open track terror. Maybe I should just lower my stang and put some springs/shocks on it but something tells me a 240z or a miata has more potential.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw an article on a company in so cal that did this. They put a blown 5.0 in a miata. It was in Motortrend like 5 years ago. The article had a JBA dominator Mustang in it too. Sorry I cant help you but maybe you could contact Motortrend and ask them.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Funny, I was thinking the same exact thing about 2 wks ago man.....

Go to Yahoo and search for "monster miata"

That was the name of that car that was in the mags... Plus there is a little subculture that has done it already. So there should be plenty of resources out there.
I think I'm gonna investigate this a little more too..... I'll be back.

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Shade-tree....

Look here found this on Miata.net
A Miata V8 conversion forum

EDIT : Hey man I found this kit too.... Looks like it may not be too tough if you know what to replace. Guy wants 4k for the kit though... [Eek!]
Monster Miata kit

[ May 23, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: MRBiggs ]

--------------------

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Build It Yourself!
This kit is designed specifically for any person to put together a V8 Miata with minimal effort and without any major tools. Designed for the "shade tree mechanic", this kit includes everything you need along with plain, easy-to-understand directions that walk you through every step of the way so you will be "rumbling" in no time.

they know me personally? [worship]

[ May 23, 2002, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
quote:
Build It Yourself!
This kit is designed specifically for any person to put together a V8 Miata with minimal effort and without any major tools. Designed for the "shade tree mechanic", this kit includes everything you need along with plain, easy-to-understand directions that walk you through every step of the way so you will be "rumbling" in no time.

they know me personally? [worship]
yeah I think they do... [Big Grin]
I have a few engineer friends that I'm betting could re-engineer this kit so it could be sold a bit cheaper. If he is getting 4k for a kit, I wonder what he charges for a full conversion. Scary....

--------------------

www.socalhorsepower.com

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have met people who have said that when it ALL is said and done is costs near 40 grand!!! I saw one at a gas station once that had a roots style blower on it. The owner said it was expensive as hell and in fourth gear on the freeway it just blew the tires off every time.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit, I got SBC a 240z for $3k including a rebuilt motor with aluminum heads!

240z is probably a better platform anyways.

Cobracon
Member # 1350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobracon  Ford pictures for Cobracon        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.v8miata.com Hope this helps.
Posts: 1 | From: Southern California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, if youre planning on doing a V8 swap into a 240Z, my bro might be selling his 280Z, has a 350+ a th350 trans, but i think he wants to keep the motor+trans. But, it does have the headers to swap in the sbc ($400), the motor mounts, the cowl induction hood. He is basically going to be getting rid of the car, since he wants to use the motor in something else. Make him an offer on the swap parts, or the whole car if you want it... its kind of a beater car, but its there,

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get a '73 or earlizer Z so I wouldn't have to worry about getting the car smogged.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com