Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help me PLEASE! STEEDA Timing adjuster/Pullies-'98 Cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me PLEASE! STEEDA Timing adjuster/Pullies-'98 Cobra
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi guys, I need some expert advice, so I'm turning to you, since Steeda isn't helping me at all [Mad] .

I bought a pulley set/timing adjuster/front tower strut bar from Steeda within the past 3 or so weeks. Basically it has been nothing but a headache to try and get these pullies and timing adjuster put on.

First off, the alternator pulley didn't fit correctly. I called Steeda about it, they said that more than likely my car had been one of the handfuls of Cobras that was built "With a GT alternator". So they said they would send me out a GT alternator pulley when I sent the Cobra pulley back. I sent the pulley back, they sent me a GT alternator pulley, and that doesn't fit either. So the mechanic that was working on my car called them about it, and Josh at Steeda basically said that they would have to send me out another Cobra alternator pulley and have me send back the GT alternator pulley.

What pisses me off about this is that #1, this is a waste of time, maybe they should have looked at the Cobra pulley that I sent back to make sure it wasn't defective to begin with instead of jumping onto the conclusion that my Cobra has a GT alternator and #2, I have to pay to ship back the damn alternator pulley each time, when it isn't my fault. I know it isn't much (like $8), but still, what happened to customer service?

SECOND...This is the part I really need help on-BIG TIME.

As I said earlier, I also got the timing adjuster, and figured that I would put that on at the same time that I had my pullies put on. Well, when I put on the timing adjuster and then put on the pullies, I have no clearance from the "Secondary Air-Injection Tube". In other words, the teeth of the timing adjuster would rub right up against this Heavy-Duty steel tube and basically destroy itself [Eek!] . The mechanic who is working on my car and myself called Steeda about it, they gave us the run-around for 2 days, and called back yesterday. Their advice was to "Bend the Secondary air injection tube" to create clearance....WTF [Confused] [Confused] ? I thought this new timing adjuster was supposed to have clearance? The support guy from Steeda, 'Josh', said that "They weren't familiar with that problem since 1996 Cobras don't have that tube there.". Well NO SHIT, SHERLOCK, I have a 1998 Cobra, and Steeda advertises this timing adjuster will fit '96s to '02s [BS flag] .

I don't want to just "Bend" [Eek!] this pipe, considering that it might break or weaken upon bending, or one day it might happen to bend back into the timing adjuster and totally jack up my setup. When I asked Steeda what their plan was if the pipe bent back and hit the adjuster, or if the pipe itself broke, they danced around the subject and wouldn't give a definite answer [BS flag] .

So, I know that is alot to read, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to install the timing adjuster, or any other thoughts, please, please, please post a reply...Thanks so much for your help, everyone. This has been an extremely frustrating past several weeks [Mad] .

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will i dont know what to tell you about the alt pulley.. I have done many pulleys on 98s and that has never come up .. IM guessing that the 1st pulley from them had some kind of problem..
as for the timing adjuster.. Yes, you will have to bend the tube some.. I know it sucks but there is always a compromise when modifying your car...shit happens ...

Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks alot...any advice on how to bend the tube, etc.? I am trying to put as little stress on the tube as possible, and put it in the area where it has the least chance to fall back into the timing adjuster and cause a major problem.

--------------------

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got off the phone with Josh from Steeda, I guess we are going to swap alternator pullies again. He said that Steeda has really never had a problem with pullies being defective, but he noticed that several people have called in and complained about the latest shipment of Cobra alternator pullies. He said that he will personally check out the new Cobra alternator pulley he sends out to make sure it is free of defects. And he also said that the technicians there at Steeda also bend that Secondary air injection tube. So I guess it is settled, I just need to know how much to bend the tube and how exactly I should do it without doing too much damage to the tube itself.

[ May 23, 2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: blackcobra98 ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com