Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » New problem with new tranny(D.Starkey can you join in here?)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New problem with new tranny(D.Starkey can you join in here?)
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just swapped in my new tremec 3550 over the weekend. All I changed was the tranny and the bellhousing. I left the clutch, flywheel and everything else alone. I took the car out and the new tranny feels great, until i hit around 3000 rpm. From there on up i get a nasty vibration until about 4000 rpm and it starts to go away a little bit. What could be causing this to happen? This didn't happen before with my T-5. Anyone have ideas?

--------------------
'91 blue/gray GT -SOLD :(
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mabey they mishandled the tranny on delivery. thats probably not what you want to hear, but its a possibility [Frown]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i thought about that, but I don't think thats possible. The tranny was boxed very well, and showed no signs of damage upon delivery. It's got to be something else.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did everything line up correctly? [Confused]

--------------------
86 GT

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doesnt the Tremec require a different front yoke?

Just sounds like a geometry issue to me assuming all hard parts or either new or in good shape.

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
Doesnt the Tremec require a different front yoke?

Just sounds like a geometry issue to me assuming all hard parts or either new or in good shape.

Only the TKO requires a different yoke. Thats what's killing me, it didn't do it with the other tranny, and it ONLY happens between 3k-4k rpms, it's perfectly smooth below that especially. Could it be the throwout bearing not aligned?

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt it is the T/O bearing

Do you have a manual fan?

Did you make sure there is some weird probs with the fan hitting the shroud?

This happened to me after a C-4 swap cause the trans mount move the front of the motor down a tiny bit caused the fan to hit the shroud and make a weird little vibe.

Other than that does it do it in neutral at a complete stop or only when you are in gear with the car rolling???

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

i've got an electric fan. Just to eliminate accessories, i pulled the belt and fired it up and the vibe was still there. It happens in all gears, seems worse as i go higher in gears. I can feel it in neutral, though it's not as bad as when I'm in 2nd or 3rd. It'll make the vibes in neutral, in gear with the clutch pedal to the floor, rolling, or standing still.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it just when the clutch is in or not. that could be the prob

--------------------
86 GT

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

clutch in or out, rolling or standing still it does it no matter what. It is amplified as I go higher in gears. So, in neutral its not bad, cruising in 2nd at 3500 is bad, 3rd at 3500 is worse, and so on.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

mabey the driveshaft or your gears? i dont know [dance]

--------------------
86 GT

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
mabey the driveshaft or your gears? i dont know [dance]

i don't think that could be it becuase the vibe is RPM dependent. And also, it does it when the car is not moving, so that rules out the DS and gears. But, i have no idea what it is at this point still.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

How does your dampner look?

Still sounds like a geometry issue.

Id pull the trans and have a look at everything.

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The tremec tranny needs to be spaced higher for correct geometry between the trans and rearend. Driveline service of concord can set this for you.
Also as far as vibration when not moving the only thing I can think of would be a bad input bearing or bad clearance's within the transmission or maybe the bellhousing and tranny aren't line up correctly.

roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

quote:
Originally posted by jph331:
The tremec tranny needs to be spaced higher for correct geometry between the trans and rearend. Driveline service of concord can set this for you.
Also as far as vibration when not moving the only thing I can think of would be a bad input bearing or bad clearance's within the transmission or maybe the bellhousing and tranny aren't line up correctly.

I thought the driveline only needed to be modified with a TKO? I'll swap in 93 ponys 3550 if he'll let me:) just to eliminate the tranny as being the problem. Maybe it is an alignment issue, i don't think there's much adjustment is there? Or do i need to play with the bellhousing too?
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey -
It's obviously a tranny issue. Questions:
~Do you need to put a diff. pilot bearing in???
~Did you replace the throw-out bearing???
~Does the vibration get significantly worse the faster you go???

Honestly it sounds like the main shaft of the tranny might not be perfectly staight. Just a bad tranny in my eyes. Call TTC and send that sucka back. Another new one wouldn't be bad just time consuming.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

i've been on Corral and heard that a few other people are experiencing this same problem. From what i heard, some people's DS yokes are bottoming out in the tailshaft housing, not sure if that would cause a vibe. though. Also, there is the rubber donut on the tailshaft that I was supposed to take off, so I will do that to see if it helps.

--------------------
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you do that check for scaring on the yoke. This will be the first indication.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com