Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » A mystery mis HELP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: A mystery mis HELP
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright this really sucks. I have changed everything that I can think of. From spark plugs to distrubitor and everything else is new. The 02 sensors as well as everything in this motor.
What happens is the car runs killer when it is cold. But when it warms up it has a mis. I have no vaccum leaks, I have a custom chip done by bryon and everything seems to be right. If anyone can help me this will be very greatful
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are we supposed to guess at your combo or what? lemme guess... S-trim vortech and 50# injectors? heh. what's the combo dude? [worship]
UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
Alright this really sucks. I have changed everything that I can think of. From spark plugs to distrubitor and everything else is new. The 02 sensors as well as everything in this motor.
What happens is the car runs killer when it is cold. But when it warms up it has a mis. I have no vaccum leaks, I have a custom chip done by bryon and everything seems to be right. If anyone can help me this will be very greatful
Albert

Have you tried the coil ? New Spark plug leads ?

Mark

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my combo is an s-trim 347 with 50lb injectors and an aeromotive comp fuel kit. Do you need to know anything else. This problem only occurs when the car is warm.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you played with plug gap?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

I have the spark plug gap set at .35. That is what I was told to set it at. The car runs killer when it is cold. But when it warms up it happens. Also it doesn't happen all the time. It is only when you accelerate to
Albert

--------------------

O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G. Cobra  Ford pictures for O.G. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would love to hear the answer to your problem. i have been having the same, if not identical problem that you are having. it starts to miss about three to five minutes after start-up. that's the reason that i don't think it's electrical. the miss is only noticeable after about 3000 rpm.

btw, mine is a 93 cobra with edelbrock heads, msd 6al, and some other bolt-ons...

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What spark plug wires? I've bought a new set of FMS 9MM & one turned out to be bad. Had a miss at 3500rpm. Did you replace the TFI module when you did the distributor? Sometimes those go bad.

If you have MSD, diconnect it & see how it runs without it. The 6AL isn't water proof, so moisture can screw it up.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know all bullshit to the side the only car that I have seen ever do this had the same symptoms and it had those FMS 9MM wires on it.

Do you have those wires Albert?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

BramellS4
¯
Member # 975

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BramellS4  Ford pictures for BramellS4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
vapor lock maybe, this is when the fuel in your lines turns to vapor, making it hard to pump. see if any of your lines are getting really hot. that could be your problem.

--------------------
89 gt-gone
95 cobra-gone
00 audi s4...ever heard of one of those?

O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G. Cobra  Ford pictures for O.G. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
What spark plug wires? I've bought a new set of FMS 9MM & one turned out to be bad. Had a miss at 3500rpm. Did you replace the TFI module when you did the distributor? Sometimes those go bad.

If you have MSD, diconnect it & see how it runs without it. The 6AL isn't water proof, so moisture can screw it up.

the spark plug wires are msd. i didn't do the msd, it was on when i bought it. i put the heads on and it didn't do it for about the first 3 or 4000 miles, then it started. i think i'll just pull all the plug wires and put them on again from scratch. maybe i'll buy another set of those spacer/allignment things too, just to be on the safe side...
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Well I had the msd wires until I burned a couple of them and they went to the trash. Now I bought the talyor 10.5m pro series wires and just put them on. This problem is driving me insane because I haven't got to enjoy the damn car. All the money in this thing it should run killer. If I can't fix it then it is going to get put up for sale because I can't take it anymore. I mean this thing only has less than 800 miles on it and I have had nothing buy stupid problems with it.
Albert

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

maybe it might be the mass air meter. did anyone have a problem with some shitty pro-m meters? This problem doesn't happen all the time and I can't think of anything else
Albert

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
maybe it might be the mass air meter. did anyone have a problem with some shitty pro-m meters? This problem doesn't happen all the time and I can't think of anything else
Albert

I am currently having a problem W/ my Pro-M piece of shit.
I was told that they make those out of old stock ford ones.
I have the same exact problem.
I found out it was the mass air meter cause when I unplug the meter after the caris warm then fire it up the thing idles perfect. Thanks to 5150 [worship]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

joep
¯
Member # 1242

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joep  Ford pictures for joep    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you tried your thermostat
i had the same thing happen to my old v6 & it was only $7 but the car ran great after that

StreetStang37
¯
Member # 935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreetStang37  Ford pictures for StreetStang37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe its your fuel pump going out. Whats your fuel pressure like when you feel the miss? When the fuel pump is going bad and heats up it, starts to go south.

--------------------
1993 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Trick Flow Heads, Street Heat intake, 3/8in spacer, E303, TFS 1.7rr & 6.75 pushrods, Holley 190lph fuel pump, 24# injectors & sample tube, SVO timing chain, Aeromotive AFPR, 180* t-stat, 2 5/8 Auto Meter mech fuel pressure gauge, K&N, March Ram Air & Pullies, Black Magic Electric Fan, 73mm C&L MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 1 5/8in Equal Length Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2in H-Pipe w/hi-flow cats & Flowmaster 2 1/2in Cat-Back Exhaust, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Nitto DR's, 3.73 gears, FMS Aluminum DriveShaft, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Pro-Shift Lite, 9mm FMS Plug Wires, PowerSlot rotors, PowerMaster 140amp Alt., LX lights, Cobra R hood w/SVO scoop, Saleen spoiler, Cobra Bumper, MaCh1 paint scheme, 3in chrome tips

Posts: 88 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

well, in my case the car only has 16K miles, so i don't think the fuel pump or stock mass air would/should be the culprit...
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Well I sent the meter bad to anderson ford motorsports to have the send it to pro-m. I don't think it can be the fuel pump since it is brand new and it is the aeromotive a-1000. I checked my electrical connections and redid all the connection also. I will get the meter bad and then hit the dyno because it also might be a tunning problem.
Albert

--------------------

O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

FYI:
i finally decided to get off my ass and fix my car. i bought new spark plug wires. while taking the old ones off i noticed the #5 &6 terminals on the distributor cap were all corroded. so i bought a new cap and rotor, put the new wires on and the problem is gone. i can finally enjoy my car again. i forgot how fun it was to drive.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com