Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need some advice !!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some advice !!!
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey I love this board, there is alot of cool cats on it. Anyway i just got me a 98 cobra with low miles. I want to mod it up, however i dont know my shit like some of you cats. My question is what are the top ten mods to put in it first. It is completely stock. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get some 4.30s for your first mod.
then:

offroad x-pipe
catback
short shifter

these are cool for starters.

98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey man thanks for the reply. Im a rookie, what does changing the gears to 4.30 do and what will the shifter do :-(. Is a 5.0 shifter a good choice.
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a shifter will shorten the throw between the gears i belive. and gears, well, im not quite sure how they work, but you will definitly feel that mod more then some others. where do you live by the way? [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
get some 4.30s for your first mod.
then:

offroad x-pipe
catback
short shifter

these are cool for starters.

i agree but go for the longtubes now so you don't have to get another off road in a few months when you want to go faster. and don't forget some fresh air systems

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

thanks bros for the replys. Also if I want to get a supercharger what is the best one for a 98 cobra and should i put some other basic mods in the engine before i put in a charger. Thanks again for the advice.
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is what you need to run mid to low 12's....

4.30-4.56 rear end gear
BBK Long Tube headers
BBK Shorty H pipe or VRS X pipe
Any catback system
Pulleys
Shifter (of your choice) i'd go Pro 5.0
Air inlet pipe (talk to Mike "blue98svt" he made some sick custom ones!)
and if you have time.. rip your upper and lower intake off and clean them up [Smile]

oh.. and last but not least.. power shift!

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98snaketool:
hey man thanks for the reply. Im a rookie, what does changing the gears to 4.30 do and what will the shifter do :-(. Is a 5.0 shifter a good choice.

gears will make you rev A LOT quiker. now this will improve any cars acceleration ( altho it gives no hp). but in a cobra, which is very responsive to high rpms, gears are GREAT. first mod, hands down, is gears. cheap as hell-- $400 INSTALLED AT REAR END SPEACILISTS IN SANTA CLARA, AND DEFINETLEY THE MOST NOTICEABLE MOD FOR THE $$$. sorry bout the caps, hit the button and dont want to retype it. also, other good mods to start would be pullies, long tubes. s/c will vary depending on who you talk to and i dont have an opinion there cause ive never had a blower. nitrous is always good tho, cheap initial cost and very good results.

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Hey 96whitesnkae and imbroken thanks a lot for the awesome advice. I really appreciate it. Sick car by the way 96 whitesnake, did you drop it and if you did how much. Thanks again.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com