Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3:73's or 4:10's

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3:73's or 4:10's
ponygrl95gt
¯
Member # 471

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponygrl95gt  Ford pictures for ponygrl95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm getting my gears installed within the next month, but I was wondering if I should return the 3:73's for 4:10's.

What would be the best performance wise and communting wise. I drive about 2,000 miles a month, mostly freeway. Does anyone have a 96-98 GT with 3:73's or 4:10's? What 1/4 are you running ane what is your RPM at 80mph with both sets of gears?

Thanks

--------------------
1998 White Mustang GT
14.9@93.9
1995 White Mustang GT
(parts for sale)

Posts: 172 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
UKCobra
¯
Member # 1240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKCobra  Ford pictures for UKCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ponygrl95gt:
I'm getting my gears installed within the next month, but I was wondering if I should return the 3:73's for 4:10's.

What would be the best performance wise and communting wise. I drive about 2,000 miles a month, mostly freeway. Does anyone have a 96-98 GT with 3:73's or 4:10's? What 1/4 are you running ane what is your RPM at 80mph with both sets of gears?

Thanks

Have you adjusted your sppedo to regain accuracy ?

I have 3.73's in my 95, but my speedo is out by 14%. I am guessing I am doing 3000rpm at 80mph.

There are some math formulas that can calculate this.

Have you got somewhere to install these yet ?

I am thinking of ripping out my 3.73s and installing 3.27s. My car should have been built with 3.27s, and have no record of why and when 3.73s were installed.

Mark

--------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #938
1995 Mustang Cobra R #61

Posts: 436 | From: Reading, UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: May 2002  |  :
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ponygirl - I would say 3.73s if you do that much freeway driving.

Personally, I think my transmission has little life left in it and if it decides to go, I may go for a T56 6 speed, in which I would be better off with 4:10s so I'm in a dilema on what I should do as well.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's, but you knew that. [Smile]

Go here to see the difference on paper:
http://www.corral.net/tech/
click on tech calculators, then RPM/SPEED/GEAR ratio calculator

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Thanks

Hey Conni, right now with your 3:08's you at about 2000 RPM at 80 right? When I had my stocker 3:27's in I was around 2400 RPM, now with the 3:73's im right around 2800 almost 3000 rpm. And we don't need to discuss my crappy 1/4 mile times, we both know what they are. Just remember no more dropping from 5th to 3rd when racing on the highway while going 80 mph, hahaha. Later Conni, good luck with the install. [dance]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driving that much I would go with 355's. It is far better than 308's and for driving that many miles a month you will appreciate it.
JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
4.10's, but you knew that. [Smile]

Go here to see the difference on paper:
http://www.corral.net/tech/
click on tech calculators, then RPM/SPEED/GEAR ratio calculator

definitly a 4.10 fan. i picked up 4 tenths with the 4.10s

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good topic. i'm also try to figure out if i want 3:73or 4:10. do more street driving than freeway so i was leaning towards 4:10s. but when i'm on the freway. it sure would be nice to pull on somebody. i've looked at the average prices on the gears. not to bad. looks like it's the install that's the wallet graber. around a good $4-500. does that sound right to any one else? [Eek!]

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good topic. i'm also try to figure out if i want 3:73or 4:10. do more street driving than freeway so i was leaning towards 4:10s. but when i'm on the freway. it sure would be nice to pull on somebody. i've looked at the average prices on the gears. not to bad. looks like it's the install that's the wallet graber. around a good $4-500. does that sound right to any one else? [Eek!]

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STANG'N IT:

an interesting note: with my stock 3.27's i could only pull about 130 after a long while but with the 4.10's i top out quickly at 146

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STANG'N IT:
looks like it's the install that's the wallet graber. around a good $4-500. does that sound right to any one else? [Eek!]

I just had gears installed on Monday. $195 for labor. Average around here is $225 w/a guarantee.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
CHARGED88
¯
Member # 1089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHARGED88  Ford pictures for CHARGED88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for your application it would be smart to add 3.55's or 3.73's. 4.10's on the freeway at 80 mph = gas guzzler, and also if you like to shift alot get the 4.10's, in my opinion thats a track only gear. i know you can live with them on the street, but not for me personally. dont get 4.10's just because everybody else seems to be getting them, do whats best for you personally.
sexy69
Member # 1016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexy69  Ford pictures for sexy69    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 4:11s and I have a T-5 with 275/40/17 tires, and I am running 2600 rpms @70 mph. a piece of advice...when you get gears, plan ahead and anticipate what future mods you may end up doing. I have 4:11s which were great when I was naturally aspirated, but now that I am twin turbo,I have no traction what so ever.... I really need to change the gears again.

--------------------
TT you ask?

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The least expensive place that I have seen to get gears installed is the rear end shop. I think it is in San Jose. 4.10's and 3.73's are not fun freeway gears at all.
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sexy69:
I have 4:11s and I have a T-5 with 275/40/17 tires, and I am running 2600 rpms @70 mph. a piece of advice...when you get gears, plan ahead and anticipate what future mods you may end up doing. I have 4:11s which were great when I was naturally aspirated, but now that I am twin turbo,I have no traction what so ever.... I really need to change the gears again.

Hey what's up man - this is Gabe

I think I'm going to go for the 3.73s

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My opinion...

5-speed: 3.73
Auto: 4.10

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaserStang  Ford pictures for LaserStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going through the same dilemma right now too.. I've pretty much decided on 3.73's though, since I do quite a bit of freeway driving...
'Twas a touch choice though, since I hear more people say they wish they'd gotten 4.10's after they got their 3.73's in, and not the other way around....

Decisions, decisions...

~Brian

--------------------
Laser Red 2000 Mustang GT
http://www.montereymustangs.com

OldSchoolFormula
¯
Member # 823

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchoolFormula  Ford pictures for OldSchoolFormula    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gee, I wish I could complain about 2600RPMs@70. Instead, I have to run 3.42's and tach 3K. Oh yea, that whole overdrive thing... [Wink]
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run a 4.30 rear gear.. @ 3,100 rpms im @ 80mph... in 5th gear o.d...

it's not bad.. from Los Angeles to Lafayette on a tank and a half

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
ponygrl95gt
¯
Member # 471

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponygrl95gt  Ford pictures for ponygrl95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm getting them installed at river city differential. He's installing them for $225. The gears themselves, were inexpenisve compared to the labor putting them in. I've been referred to Sean at that shop by many people. He's actually a 4x4 guy though. But he does an awesome job.

I'm still debating which ones I want. I think I may go with 4:10's. I need to get the speedo gear thingy, to set the speedometer correct.(sorry can't remember what it's called) Right now with 308's, at 70 I'm at 2000. I need a serious boost. I'm tired of seeing 15 second passes. My car has no torque, so hopefully 4:10's with be the answer.

Now i need to work on the suspension. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
1998 White Mustang GT
14.9@93.9
1995 White Mustang GT
(parts for sale)

Posts: 172 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I'm getting them installed at river city differential. He's installing them for $225. The gears themselves, were inexpenisve compared to the labor putting them in. I've been referred to Sean at that shop by many people. He's actually a 4x4 guy though. But he does an awesome job.

I'm still debating which ones I want. I think I may go with 4:10's. I need to get the speedo gear thingy, to set the speedometer correct.(sorry can't remember what it's called) Right now with 308's, at 70 I'm at 2000. I need a serious boost. I'm tired of seeing 15 second passes. My car has no torque, so hopefully 4:10's with be the answer.

Now i need to work on the suspension. [Roll Eyes]

The thingy is called a Speedo gear, the thing i also need to get in my car since i havent yet put it in. For mine i would need the 23 tooth speedo gear, for the 4:10's i beleive it may be the same, either way with 4:10's, i have heard, the speedo will still read a few mph's off maybe 1-3 mph, but still better than the 7-8 mph that im off right now. Your car should be a frickin rocket off the line, but those trip back and fourth to Rio Vista to Sacto, say AAH T OS to your gas mileage, hehehe [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com