Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP!! My fan turns on too late

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!! My fan turns on too late
96GTSleeper
¯
Member # 941

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for 96GTSleeper  Ford pictures for 96GTSleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey all,

I am having a problem with my fan turning on too late. It gets to the hot side and then kicks in.
[Mad]

My car is stock. I drain my radiator, and flushed my system out.

What could be the problem??

Thanks

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What up,
Don't know what might couse the prob. but there kits out there that you can turn on the fan by a flip of a switch.
[patriot]

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Solid Snake
¯
Member # 719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Solid Snake  Ford pictures for Solid Snake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get one of those infra red thermo gun thingys. I have a '91 Camaro RS that I thought the fan was waiting till the temp guage was in the red to come on, but what was really going on was the engine temp sensor for the instrument cluster(chevy likes to use two, one for the computer and one for the instrument cluster.) was reading wrong and I had to put a resistor in the circuit to make the guage read the right temp. I used a intra red gun to find that out, or you could use some sort of temp probe like one for when your cooking turkey. You can pick one of those up pretty cheap.
Posts: 153 | From: Livenomore, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
96GTSleeper
¯
Member # 941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96GTSleeper  Ford pictures for 96GTSleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the advice.

I have noticed that when i am on the freeway it stays on the cold side.

But once i am on stop and go traffic, it gets hot.

The temp switch is the only thing i am thinking is going bad. Or is bad.

I will try that and see what good it does.

Thanks and anymore advice is helpful.

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure that you have full amount of fluids in your radiator.
Make sure that your temp gauge is operating correctly by testing signal that it is receiving to what it is reading (or) hook a autometer up and check the difference.
Test the temp sensor for proper output signal.
Last-you might have to replace the relay comp. inside your passenger fender...

Diagnosis is a son of a B*t(H...

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Silver92GT
¯
Member # 1264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver92GT  Ford pictures for Silver92GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the engine temp sensor or the fan relay
Posts: 20 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com