Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » antifreeze

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: antifreeze
erccobra
¯
Member # 1112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for erccobra  Ford pictures for erccobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the other day i blew a radiator hoze,so i changed it ,,,when it came time to refill the anti freeze,i called my friend who works at a ford dealer and he said to do a 50/50 mixture,so i did it although i am not sure how perfect the mixture was but anyways ,,the temp on my car seems to be a tiny bit higher then normal but it also stays at the same temp ,,,like it literally does not move even when i am on the highway,so what i am asking is how do i flush my radiator,,,what is infact the proper mixture,,and would the wrong mixture cause this to happen to the temp of my car
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can probably get away with running the car a few times, and topping off the radiator cap with H20 (or distilled H20).
my guess is the radiator is still 'bubbling' or otherwise is not totally full causing the system to be pumping air bubbles instead of coolant sometimes.

run it at idle with the radiator cap open. when it gets to the 'operating temp' where the thermostat kicks all the way open, the water level in the radiator should drop. keep adding water for a few minutes until it is really 100% full. you should be fine as far as cooling at that point.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its also might be running a little hotter than usual if you put more antifreeze coolant in there than you usually do. Water will make it run cooler and antifreeze makes it run hotter. If i were you flush the radiator and buy a bottle of redline water Wetter. It worked extremely well in my car. In my 91 it doesnt go above the 2nd line on the temp guage. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Silver92GT
¯
Member # 1264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver92GT  Ford pictures for Silver92GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 92 ran a little hot when i changed my thrtl bdy and egr plate, i just added straight coolant and it ran hot for like 2 days then it went back to normal.
Posts: 20 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Straight coolant although isnt bad for your motor it will make it run hotter than a 50/50 mixture.
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
Straight coolant although isnt bad for your motor it will make it run hotter than a 50/50 mixture.

i would have to disagree with the straight coolant. especially with aluminum heads. could warp from heat.

just like the reverse of running water only, you have the problem of Electrolysis [dance]

[ May 12, 2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: TORQUEPIMP ]

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pure Water 50/50 70/30
C2H6O2/Water C2H6O2/Water

Freezing 32 F -35 F -67 F
Point

Boiling 212 F 223 F 235 F
Point

However, it is usually recommended that unless you have changed your cooling system (ie. aluminum radiator) that you stick to the engineers advice from the manufacturer's handbook.

hope that helps

Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SORRY THE ABOVE POST WAS UNCLEAR!

Pure Water - freezing point= 32F, boiling point = 212F

50/50 C2H6O2/Water - freezing point = -35F, boiling point = 223F

70/30 C2H6O2/Water - freezing point = -67F, boiling point = 235F

Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com