Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help me guys...i installed my offroad pipe and now my car dies help meee!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me guys...i installed my offroad pipe and now my car dies help meee!
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there is a little leak between the header and the pipe. could that cause my car to die?? its only when im not on the gas at all. when i stop it either dies or runs really bad. the rpms jump up and down alot. let me know what you guys think

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hurry up and reply guys my car is no fun wjile its broken

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

-=Collin=-
¯
Member # 1092

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -=Collin=-  Ford pictures for -=Collin=-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are the O2 sensors conneted properly and working ?
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

yea i checked them

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did u get MILs for it? and did you disconnect the battery when u did the install? If not try that and then take the car out and put about 10 miles on it. go slow, then stomp on it, take it up to speed, basically run it thru different cycles. I had the same problems after i installed my TB and thats what it took to fix it.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

umm mils?? if you menan miles yea i put lots on it...didnt disconnect the battery i will try that

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He means mil eliminators. You can buy them from a number of different places. What they do is tell the computer that your cats are functioning normally. If you do not have them your computer will tell your car to run full rich on the fuel curve. Call Houston Performance or Dallas Mustang and pick some up. You will need only one pair, they plug in between the O2 sensors and the wiring plug. This should solve your problems.

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he doesnt need MIL elimintors, its a 5.0. what does it sound like, the leak might cause it. did you connect the egr tube. i forgot too when i put that pipe on and it ran like crap
hope this helps [Big Grin]

[ May 08, 2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
didnt see that it was a 94

[ May 08, 2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: bunchmyfunky ]

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its coo, the only reason i know is because i sold him the pipe [Wink]
and it fit perfect on my car. one other thing, check the threads on the header bolts that lead to the pipe, it doesnt take very much to mess them up

[ May 08, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ATTN: Platinum Pony - I had the same f'n problem!!! It's all about the leak at your header. I was told that the reason the car dies is because the o2 sensors cannot get an accurate reading when there is a leak right before them.

Here is the bad news: there's pretty much nothing you can do to fix it. The problem I had was that it was just a poorly made h-pipe. What brand is it? I'm willing to bet it is the same no-name kind I had. If you take a look at the flanges that seal around the header, compare them to stock, I'll bet the ones on the offroad h-pipe are much smaller, which means they cannot make the proper seal around the header. I tried using some RTV Exhaust sealant, and guess what?? Didn't make a damn bit of difference.

So I finally ordered the MAC Prochamber, which by the way took 3 months for me to get, so I drove my car around with it dying at every stop light. When I compared the flanges, HUGE difference. After finally putting on the Prochamber: my problem was sloved! My advice - get a good well name brand pipe, like a BBK, MAC, or Bassani. Don't settle for a no-name brand h-pipe. Good luck!

[ May 09, 2002, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: 94RedGT ]

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

uhh, the pipe worked fine on my car... [Confused]

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

if you still hav ethe same problem, try checking the header nut. the threads get messed up if the exhaust doesnt get but on at the right angle. i just went through all that crap with mi x pipe [Big Grin]
good luck bro [dance]

--------------------
86 GT

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

well it took a little touch of tweaking but it runs fine now ..now more leak...it was my error..lol thanks for the info though guys.

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

hows it sound? hope you like it, and sorry for not answering back on aim, i forgot to sign off [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
86 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com