Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous installation problems! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nitrous installation problems!
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed a NX system on my boys 96 Marro LT1.
We started it off at 75-shot jet settings and the car will not pull hard when the system is on???
The car starts to pop and bog down like it's losing spark or something. We were told the wrong type of plug would cause this??
Anyone come across this type of prob before?
It's a wet shot too and the NOS nozzle does freeze over like it's supposed to.

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what fuel pressure are you running in the car? Is it stock, or do you run higher pressure with bigger injectors? And what are you talking about NOS nozzle freezing like its supposed to? Do you have an NX nozzle, or an NOS nozzle? What jets you have in it? What kind of plugs are in the motor? Do not use platinum plugs.

[ May 06, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: customN2O ]

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Bro we are using stock fuel system to the fullest. However there is a fuel press. gauge in the car and is at 35 psi all the time even W/ the system in use. The jets are 41 fuel and 25 Nos I think; whatever the sheet recomended. We are also using the shark nozzle and I was saying that it gets real cold and almost turns white like ice.
I thought it getting cold was normal Bro "Nitrous"

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OLD NOS nozzles would actually freeze the fuel hole shut on the end of the nozzle.

Sounds like you need an MSD box and or a different plug and gap.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Oh not sure what plugs are in it"to fucking hard to even see those things" [Mad]
We already have a set og NGK's to put in but not sure the gap to run? Could a bad plug decision cause this?

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah.

MSD box would mask that tho.

Gap is prolly too big and the spark is getting blown out on the bottle (common with stock ign) MSD usually masks this.

Or you just have the wrong plug completly.

Look at two plugs next to each other that are 3 heat ranges apart.

You will see what I mean.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Thanks on that info punkin. I'm almost positive it's the plug slection and or gap. Do you have any idea what gap is good for this combo? If not Ill just call the tech line for NX. Oh and I would now want a hoter plug then stock applications are right?

Hey I just noticed your slogan at the bottom of your posts and wanted to [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] it Bro

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Nah Mike you want a colder plug than stock.

Id say 2 steps but ask Zimm for sure.

Also I would run the gap at 35 to start with.

Im MORE than sure the stock gap is in like the 42-50 range

Way too much for a bottle car if you ask me.

Im not the GURU, Zimmhead is but I can help you out some since it looks like he went to bed.

OR he is busy sumping that fuel tank for the 69 camaro Iam workin on...right zimmy? [Smile]

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Injected what do you want for those 01 seats and what color are they?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

You got mail punkin and can you explain why a colder plug is what you want? I thiught you would want the plug to hold more heat since we don't want it to get blown out or something? Thanks..

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Nah you want a colder plug to keep heat off of the electrode and keep it from basically disentigrating.

As for blowing out the spark that is due to gap and actual voltage in the spark.

Gap and ignition box play a big role here.

Nitrous creates intense cylinder pressure when mixed with gas (or alcohol etc) and that pressure is what blows the spark out

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

oh I understand now Bro. Thanks and do you know where we could get a good used box 6al or something?

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

ISRN or Swap Meet

Put a wanted ad up on here.

People are greedy with 6AL boxes but you can pick a 6A box up for a song.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Thanks Dog

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran NGK TR6s in my SS, one heat range colder than stock. anything colder on the NGK line is the race plugs which are probably too cold for the street. the colder the plug the more heat it will dissapate. also there is a chance these plugs are platinum tipped this is bad nitrous will melt these very quickly. my stockers were this.

as far as plug gap a good rule of them is take your stock gap and subtract .04 for every 50 HP you add to the car. so your adding 75 shot, and any boltons? just round up to the nearest 50 or so, good alternative to a MSD box, but I think LT1 ignition are weaker than LS1 so maybe they would still need one, there are a few LT1 nitrous guys on norcal and jason(Marshell Mathers) would have some info about LT1s too hehe.

[ May 07, 2002, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: nickn ]

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did anybody check the bottle pressure???? it aint gonna hit with no pressure. I have seen alot of people forget that part..

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

the bottle was full taht day 40$ 10lbs [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

icon
¯
Member # 949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for icon  Ford pictures for icon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 InjectedCobra:
Hey Bro we are using stock fuel system to the fullest. However there is a fuel press. gauge in the car and is at 35 psi all the time even W/ the system in use. The jets are 41 fuel and 25 Nos I think; whatever the sheet recomended. We are also using the shark nozzle and I was saying that it gets real cold and almost turns white like ice.
I thought it getting cold was normal Bro "Nitrous"

gotta drop fuel pressure and not go off of a nos jet chart ya gotta use a nx jetting and jets then you will not hit your herad on the dash when hitting the button [Smile]

email me if ya want any help with it

--------------------
i have a dual frame rail chromoly tube chassis mustang and you dont :)
i do chassis work anything for subframe con's to full chassis cars

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Hey Icon what are you talking about Bro?
We are using the NX jet sheet!

icon
¯
Member # 949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for icon  Ford pictures for icon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The jets are 41 fuel and 25 Nos I think;

i saw the nos sorry bout that....but that seems like a odd spead to me not sure.but the 35 psi and the 41 fuel 25 n2o just sounds like a NOS tune...

--------------------

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mat had a simalar problem with the T/A you ran last weekend. Change the plugs. I am not sure which plugs they went to, but it cured the problem. The LT1s tend to have that problem with the wrong plugs. Call me and I can tell you what plugs Craig put in Mats car. Craig has put 8 N20 kits on LT1s and fought numerous problems this being one of them.
Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it sounds to me like you have bad plugs in the car, or the kit is too fat. That is a bitchen ass tune up, so its not the jets. I would first check the plugs. Make sure they arent platinum. I wouldnt worry about going to a much colder plug, 75 shot aint shit. If you do go colder, only 1 heat range will be fine. Leave the gap stock. You only need to start closing it up at about 300 hp of N2O. Are you sure the n20 solenoid is opening and not surging? If you dont have good power, the solenoid will shut off, but the fuel will stay on, causing it to go fat and pop. The N2O noid takes the most amps to open...Things to check.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

We are installing a set of NGK plugs on the car right now so I will let you know the results as soon as I find out.
Ooops the jets are 24 fuel and 41 Nitrous My bad.
The other way would be alil rich [Big Grin]
Thanks everyone for your advise [patriot]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

icon
¯
Member # 949

kewl thanx for confirming that about the jet mix up i thought i was losing it..lol

--------------------

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone correct me if im wrong. You might want to think about the fuel pump. Is it stock? If it is and if your friend is planning on upping the juice later on, he will probley need a better fuel pump. Im not sure if a 75shot will be ok with the stock fuel pump. But i would change it. Just my 0.2cents. [Smile] [Big Grin] [patriot] Tell us how your friemds car turns out. Good luck. [Big Grin]

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com