Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need some help.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some help.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my exhaust on today and as i was driving it home it didnt feel like it had any power [Confused] It would jerk trough every gear and it would back fire here and there. Pretty much everything is new on my car, except the hole ignition system. could it be running like shit because its not getting enough spark? Would a new MSD ditrubutar and wires, ect. get rid of the jerking and back fire?

Also, The car does not want to stay on at all. i have no idea what it could be that it dosent want to stay on and idle. Would a chip make my car idle and stay on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

JR

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of exhaust did you get?
How big are the pipes
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
What kind of exhaust did you get?
How big are the pipes
Albert

I got BBK 1 5/8 L/T's, Bassani 2 1/2inch Xpipe with cats, and 2 chamberd flows. From the end of the long tubes and back, its all 2 1/2inch out 3 1/2 inch tips.

--------------------

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

--------------------

GT90
¯
Member # 1189

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for GT90  Ford pictures for GT90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might want to have your fuel lines checked and your fuel pump; That might get it to idle and stay on. I think you might also want to check your timing and make sure it's set at the proper mark.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it back firing through the exhaust? Did you take off any of the plug wires durring the header install? Sounds like a plug wire may be loose/disconnected....or maybe even put on in the wrong order.
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would check the 02's
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gr40coupe:
I would check the 02's

Good point. If the oxygen sensors are that screwed, the computer will spit a code, so they'll be easy to diagnose.

[ April 27, 2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the exact same problem right now, When I put my off-road h-pipe on, the car couldn't hold idle after that. It just keeps dying every chance it gets. However, there is a small exhaust leak. Could that be whats causing it???

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

I should mention that this is a brand new 331 stroker. Im running 75mm MAF calbrated for 42's. Could that be the problem? I might need a chip. also, im running a after market cam. pretty wild lift.

Im thinking that the 42's are a lil too much for N/A. the reason that i went 42's is because i will be getting a S/C in a few months and didnt want to be buying two sets of injectors. (I was told that it could be tuned to run 42's with a chip. What do you guys think?

Thanx for the replys. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com