Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cat glows when car is warm

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat glows when car is warm
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cats on my bbk H-Pipe glow red after the car is warmed up. I know there is no leaky injector because they are brand new. When the car is cold it runs great but when it gets hot it has like a choking affect on it. Do you think the cats are bad? Should I just beat them out?
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your timing andair fuel, maybe vac leak??

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol
sorry just checkin something

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Too much timing retard or too rich of an air fuel ratio will cause the catalyst to work extra hard to burn up the extra fuel before it goes out the pipes, thus making it glow.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
But the car also feels like it lost power when it is warm. Do you think if I beat the cats out I won't have the choking effect anymore. I am going to take it back to the dyno later but right now I want it to run good first. The mods are a 347 s-trim motor with 50lb injectors no fmu and a aeromotive comp fuel kit. Do you guys think it will run better with no cats? I think one of them are clogged
Albert

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, it will make more power (and be louder) with no cats.... but thats not your problem... your problem is that its running extra rich when it warms up... causing you to lose power and over work your cats. Do you have a custom chip for your setep? If not, your combo is begging for one.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

I have a custom chip for right now from bryon. The cats still glow red when it is hot. I am getting really tired of this car.
Albert

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
I have a custom chip for right now from bryon. The cats still glow red when it is hot. I am getting really tired of this car.
Albert

How do your plugs look?
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

I am going to put in the autolite 3923. Right now I have the wrong length plug in the car. Do you think that can be the problem? Also do you think it can have a leaking injector?
Albert

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Well if your plug is so short that its preventing a complete burn, it could possible cause extra unburnt fuel to enter your cats and cause them to glow. Kind of a slim chance though. If you have an injector hung open or something (also very rare), it will show when you pull out your existing plugs. A vacuum leak to your fuel pressure regulator will also cause you to run rich all the time.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

What about if the fuel pressure regulator was clogged or had some dirt in it?
I have the aeromotive comp kit and ran the vaccum line off the manifold to the regulator so I don't it leaks. But the lines were kinda dirty when we put them on. (You know about these steel braided fuel lines)
Albert

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
What about if the fuel pressure regulator was clogged or had some dirt in it?
I have the aeromotive comp kit and ran the vaccum line off the manifold to the regulator so I don't it leaks. But the lines were kinda dirty when we put them on. (You know about these steel braided fuel lines)
Albert

Fuel pressure regulators reduce the fuel pressure when there is vacuum. When the vacuum source is at zero vacuum (atmosphere), then it is operating at full pressure (42 or what ever you set it to). If that vacuum line is plugged, it would definately cause your problem because fuel pressure will be 40-ish at idle, part throttle and WOT. Hook up a fuel pressure guage to the rail and see if your fuel pressure drops when you remove the vacuum line to the regulator. It should also drop when you rev up the motor.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Yeah the fuel pressure does drop when we rev the motor up.
Albert

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, I had a typo... fuel pressure is inversely related to vacuum. Vacuum is inversly related to RPM. So that means that fuel pressure should INCREASE as RPM's go up. What kind/brand of regulator do you have? Do you have an FMU? Something is definately wrong with the regulator or its signal (vacuum source) if fuel pressure drops as RPM's increase.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

It is only at the start of the rpms the vaccum drop like it is suppose to. When the car rpms start going higher and higher the fuel pressure goes up. IT has the aeromotive comp fuel kit in it.

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

yellow94gt on here had his aeromotive fuel pressure regulator's diaphragm rip and allow fuel to be sucked into the intake through the FPR's vacuum line. Have you pulled the vacuum line and smelled it or checked for fuel? I bet your problem is something simple like this.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Yeah, it will make more power (and be louder) with no cats.... but thats not your problem... your problem is that its running extra rich when it warms up... causing you to lose power and over work your cats. Do you have a custom chip for your setep? If not, your combo is begging for one.

could that be my problem? Im having trouble with somthing similler to what *1slowlx* is having. My car runs like crap from 1,000rpm-3,000rpm and theres also alot of poping noise coming fron the motor like back fire. after 3,000rpm the car revs fine all the way up to 5,000 but dosent feel like it has any power to it.
Also my cats glow also. along with the x part of the x pipe. could this be tha same thing??

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89hatchback_lx:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

could that be my problem? Im having trouble with somthing similler to what *1slowlx* is having. My car runs like crap from 1,000rpm-3,000rpm and theres also alot of poping noise coming fron the motor like back fire. after 3,000rpm the car revs fine all the way up to 5,000 but dosent feel like it has any power to it.
Also my cats glow also. along with the x part of the x pipe. could this be tha same thing??

NO BRO I TOLD YOUR ASS YOU NEED TO GET IT TUNED TO MAKE YOUR PROBLEMS GO AWAY

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Alright I changed my plugs and fired the car back up. I found a bad ground where the computer is grounded and fixed that also. The problem with the glowing cat was gone all day until I got some gas. I filled the gas tank all the way up to the top. The car has aeromotives comp fuel system kit in it. Do you think by chance it could not be returning enough fuel because of the tank being full?
Any help will be great. Tomorrow I will take some fuel out of the tank and run the car again
Albert

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com