Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Where would you begin?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Where would you begin?
HaddaBlkstang98
¯
Member # 634

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaddaBlkstang98  Ford pictures for HaddaBlkstang98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's my situation...Bought my car in Feb, 1997 Gt, Im at about 4,200 miles on it total. License gone til Aug, so I'd like to mess with the mods now and just chill. What would you do first? Things Ive been thinking about was some Cold Air Induction, possibly some exhaust, under-drive pulleys. etc. Also, my car is a automatic. Too few miles to worry about if it was a auto or manual.
Posts: 55 | From: Bay Area, Cali | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gears will make the biggest difference with that automatic. Pullies probably give you the most HP for the money spent. You'll probably notice nothing seat of the pants wise with a cold air intake.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N20 is up there for 'seat of the pants' mods [Wink]
Consider some drag radials/ET Streets for DOT legal terrorizing if you haven't.

You're AODE is quite capable if built up with the right stall/convertor.

yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PI heads, offroad x-pipe (matching longtubes would be nice), solid, straight-thru catback unit, Steeda u/drive pullies, timing adjuster, 4.10s (best for the auto), and a chip burnt by an AUTHORITY on AODE tuning.

Those mods should get u started. Forget the CAI [Roll Eyes] . Most units are around $200 and aren't proven to net more than 2-3 hp...

With the above mods you'll be DEEP in the 13s [Wink] .

[ April 22, 2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: yesIdid ]

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I second the gears and converter.... [Smile]

Solid .7+ tenths. The only thing better would be a blower or nitrous.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah get a higher stall torque converter deal. If you're doing this yourself, you'll probably have the time to drop your tranny from how it sounds.

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

HaddaBlkstang98
¯
Member # 634

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaddaBlkstang98  Ford pictures for HaddaBlkstang98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of gears do I need to switch if I were to do it? Also, how difficult of a job will that become? My pops knows a fair amount about cars so having him be around will certainly help...
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In a mod motor I believe 4.10's are best.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Modular Cobra- 4.10s
Modular GT (auto)- 4.10s
Modular GT (manual)- 3.73s

JMO [Wink]

After you get the gears, I think the majority of folks around here go to Rear-End Specialties in San Jose for the install. To adjust your speedo you'll need the correct speedo gear or a chip.

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Modular cobra -> 4.30-4.56
Modular GT -> 4.10
6 bangher -> ???

this is all N/A though..

Now, if you go with a power adder, i'd back down one ratio...

4.30's top out about 115 or so.. @ 7k..

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
HaddaBlkstang98
¯
Member # 634

How much we talking for a install of the gears in san jo?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaddaBlkstang98:
How much we talking for a install of the gears in san jo?

In Santa Clara Rear End specialties insatlls FMS gears for $455. Thats my next mod. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

HaddaBlkstang98
¯
Member # 634

quote:

That isn't including the gears is it?? lol [Smile]
HaddaBlkstang98
¯
Member # 634

I was talking to a buddy of mine, talking about the whole gear thing and he said he has a friend with a 1996 GT with the 4.10's and said he's had nothing but problems. Also an automatic, problems were oil leaks due to high RPM's and etc. Also, was put in at Rear End Specialties. Is this common or just bad driving? [Smile]
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaddaBlkstang98:
I was talking to a buddy of mine, talking about the whole gear thing and he said he has a friend with a 1996 GT with the 4.10's and said he's had nothing but problems. Also an automatic, problems were oil leaks due to high RPM's and etc. Also, was put in at Rear End Specialties. Is this common or just bad driving? [Smile]

Got 4.10's in mine and it hasn't fallen apart yet!!! [Wink]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com