Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Paging Sawson- Tuning questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Paging Sawson- Tuning questions
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson what's your take on the EEC-tuner and Tweecer vs having Byron burning me a chip? I'm not totally sure what's possible to control with the other tuning devices. I'm just concerned that if I change the setup slightly I might need to get it retuned. Also I think Byron likes to tune on the soft side of things. Nothing against him because I understand him not wanting to break someone's car and be blamed for it. I just thought Mike's car could've been experimented on a little more, to "fine" tune it in. To me tuning is finding all the available power you can for that setup by trying everything. That's certainly not gonna happen in 3-4 dyno pulls. For me cost is of no concern and I do have a laptop and a desktop computer if that matters. Of course I would need some help in dialing it in so that's where you would come in [Big Grin] Just give me some thoughts to think over. I'll have the car on the road sometime next week [Big Grin]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was gonna buy a tweecer, doesn't somebody else have one around here?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think for you, the twEECer is a viable option. As for tuning more on the edge with Mike's car... like I said before, the "shape" of the timing curve is correct. You can offset it at the distributor and get the same effect as offsetting the "curve" via the EEC. I put "curve" in quotes because its really more like a plateau than a curve in your power band. Same goes with the air fuel ratio. I'm assuming his air fuel ratio is very flat in his power band. You can adjust the fuel pressure to slightly offset the air fuel ratio "curve" and get the same effect as offsetting the "curve" via the EEC. Again, I put "curve" in quotes because its really more like a plateau than a curve in your power band. Now via the EEC you can do things like spike advance down durring the RPM where peak torque is made to ward off detonation and other minor tricks that I'm sure Byron did if they were applicable. For example, spiking the advance down durring the RPM(s) that peak torque is made is beinificial if the car only detonates at peak torque. We all know that power is lost durring detonation. Its also true that once detonation starts, you need to pull back A LOT of timing (relatively) to get it to stop. So its obvious why reducing advacing durring peak torque to prevent deonation from ever happening is great for fine tuning. This is just one example of what can't be done at the distributor. I can go on and on with this topic, but I'm afraid it won't make much sence unless I can draw some stuff out with pen and pencil. If you want a good book to read that covers a lot of good automotive topics such as some of the stuff I've talked about, pick up a copy of the Bosch Automotive Handbook. The 5th edition is the latest, but the 4th edition will work as well.

Check your PM's for more info on your question.

On the road next week? Sweet, sounds like things are going smoothly with no snags. [patriot]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for your reply. I'm by no means a tuning expert. You were exactly correct about Mike's A/F plateau. It was flat all the way across at 12.8. I just thought he could try to lean it out some more. He gained 7 RWHPish by going from 12.5 to 12.8. But again I'm no tuning expert and that's why he gets paid $$$ to do this. The timing is fine now that we found what it liked at the track. That also might change on a hot day too. Anyway it sounds like having him do the autologic chip will be the easiest. I'll just make sure YOU'RE there to over see it and possibly have him try something he wouldn't with just me and Mike there [Smile]

I got the new motor on Tuesday and it looks Sweet. I'll forward some pics of it to you. I'm just waiting to borrow my friends cherry picker again (he needs it Fri/Sat). Me and Mike are gonna finish the under hood stuff; cleaning, shift light, clutch cable, clutch, lower intake, and fuel injectors/regulator tomorrow. He got his 1 3/4 headers and has them ground out really well (1/8" came out) and I'm gonna take his old ones and sell mine. After that everything is ready to go right back in and get buttoned up and test run [Big Grin] I'll let you know how it goes and definitely let you know the day/time of the tune.

Thanks again!!!

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno, depending on where you want to go with your combo, the advantages of the eec-tuner or twEECer can out-weigh Byron's chip. But you're right, an autologic chip will be the easiest. Give me enough advance notice before you head on over here. I'm so busy with school these days, I can't commit to much. You can't imagine how hectic this week alone has been for me. I know I couldn't have made it that night Mike got tuned.

As for Mike's car.... are you changing one thing at a time? Slap the headers on and see how much you improve... then the intake and track test it, ect. Who knows, the headers may help, the intake make hurt.

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

I'll let you know as soon as I know. As for Mike, he's making one change at a time. I'll do the same. I'll eventually try 1 3/4 headers and an RPM intake myself.

[ April 18, 2002, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: AaronC ]

Mikal
¯
Member # 652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikal  Ford pictures for Mikal    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After giving byron hundreds of dollars every year, i bought a tweecer for 250$ and love it.

Byron is a great guy/tuner but it just wasnt economical. Plus it's fun to play with.

You have to want to learn though, but its not that hard.

you can email me if you have any other questions.
-Mike
whipplecharged5o@aol.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com