Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brake upgrade for a fox ???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake upgrade for a fox ???
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the M2300-K kit ('93 cobra specs I think? but with 11" rear discs instead of 10" ??) still available? is it the best of what's out there still?
trying to do some planning. I want to roadcouse my car too. Straight lines are fun and all, but I think I'm missing out bigtime

I figure I have plenty of power now to have some fun tossing my ~2650 lb. car through the tWiStEEz.

other options:
bullit brakes
SN-95 cobra brakes
some kind of brembo application?
Baer something or other?

if it matters, I currently "sport" 10.65" rear discs (turbocoupe) and stock front brakes.

what about ABS? Is it advisable to upgrade to say--- SN-95 cobra ABS system(s), or is it better to let the driver be the ABS?

lots of questions, I know, but help a brudda out [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the best brake upgrade for the fox is the Baer system. If you want to use 17X9 wheels, the Cobra brakes will require different offsets for the front and rear. With the Baer kit, you can use the same wheel on all four corners. I also run 255/40-17 tires all around.

http://www.baer.com/sales_bulletin/sales_bulletin01.shtm

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey thanks [Wink] [patriot]
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm kind of partial to the wilwood 6 piston stuff. talk about stopping on a dime...

but cheaper routes.. BAER and just a simple Cobra SPEC system will do your car good..

I have a set of front and rear cobra rotors... just need to be reworked..

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to keep it cheap I did a 93 cobra brake setup on my 83 5.0 but I took the cobra front calipers to kragen and got a core charge big enough to cover the purchase of some bigger lincoln calipers. No fade, they stop much better. You might have to get a bigger master cylinder such as one from a lincoln mark VII

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Found this on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1819221631&r=0&t=0

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that ad appears fraudulent.
'93 cobras had 5 lug didn't they?
or am I wrong?
also, the '93 cobra rear brakes are only 10.65", the same as the t-bird spec which I already have.
thanks for the link though.
I might just get a prop valve, some front 13" brakes, and then get around to the rears around about the time the diff goes or the axles break for the 2nd time [Wink]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
93 cobra brakes are stock in the front and 11 inch in the back. The only 93 Cobras that had 5 lug were cobra R's. They had five lugs and 13's in the front and 11.5's in the back. There were very few cobra r's so if you can get one of those brake setups, go for it!

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
M-2300-K IS the 93 Cobra 'R' setup.
13" fronts & 11.65" rears, brake booser, MS, etc....5 lug.

Regular Cobras came with 11" fronts, 10.X" rears, are ALL 4 lug, & have the Lincoln 73MM calipers.

The M-2300-K is a great kit, but a bit overpriced for what it is. Pretty much any 13" kit out there is going to make your 2650lb coupe 'stop on a dime'.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com