Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Stroker kits?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Stroker kits?
nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, guys where can i find a 331 stroker kit for a 5.0 based block? my friend has a truck he wants to do a 331 in it, but i think the block he would get will have be bored .030 over, so a 337? lol what is the cheapest most cost effective motor he could build. and where are the kits?
JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check summit 18002303030

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any reason why he wants a 331 and not a 347 or 351?

Whats the rest of the combo?

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
given that it's a ford truck as the target vehicle, get a 351w,
my double lincoln.
[worship]

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Any reason why he wants a 331 and not a 347 or 351?

Whats the rest of the combo?

cost, he could get a free 5.0 block, mostly, i have been trying to get him to get a 396, big fuel system and a shot hehe.

the setup is he just wants a stout little motor for is truck that wont blow up, he's fried two stock motors so far. he wants to mate it up to a C6 with a stall and a posi rear with some gears.

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: nickn ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A C6 doesn't bolt up to a 302/351 and is an overkill. A C4 will work nicely.
nickn
¯
Member # 193

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
A C6 doesn't bolt up to a 302/351 and is an overkill. A C4 will work nicely.

I think you need a new bellhousing, a friend of mine has a C-6 bolted up to his 351, so at least he says. I know i have tole my friend to get a C-4 as well, more power to the wheels, less drivetrain loss, etc.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Yeah, you can get almost any tranny to fit any block if you want to go through the hassle... but the C6 is going to weigh more, rob more power and not be any more reliable/stronger than a properly setup C4.

Is this going to be a carbed combo?

[patriot]

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some 351W came with C-6s behind of them. So they will bolt right up to a 302.

Good luck finding one.

There is alot of rotating mass with the C-6 also so there goes more torque/hp lost.

Also I think a stroked (if he is gonna spend the money to stroke a 302) 351 is a better choice for him.

You can get a 351 block ( I have before and see them all the time) out of an 85 Crown Vic that will have a one piece rear main for about 70 bucks unless it is 1/2 price day then that would be duh...35 bux.

Also MOST 331 kits do have the oil ring retainer in the piston pin, dont believe the hype. There is less piston speed and a better rod to stroke ratio, but the stroke is lacking.

It is only a 3.25 stroke as compared to a 347 which has a longer stroke.

If he wants a torque motor he need go on further than a 10.7 to one 357 (30 over 351)low duration high lift cam with some smallish (190/160) heads and 1 5/8 headers there will be PLENTY of torque but low HP. And a dual plane intake performer or performer RPM. The RPM actually makes just as much low end if you keep the heads/cam smallish.

Why does he keep frying stock motors when I have pushed mine into the 12.20 range and had not one problem?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah and 5.4 rod + 3.25 stroke + 30 over = 331
5.4 rod + 3.25 stroke + standard= 327

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Russell
Member # 1049

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for Russell  Ford pictures for Russell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just built a 347 stroker for my 1988 ford p/u It runs real strong 375 h/p 410 ft lbs of torque from 1200 rpm thru 4800 rpm. But if i had it to do over i'd build a 351 windsor, and save about 2,000 bucks Russ
Posts: 7 | From: Suisun California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
nickn
¯
Member # 193

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:

Good luck finding one.

There is alot of rotating mass with the C-6 also so there goes more torque/hp lost.

Also I think a stroked (if he is gonna spend the money to stroke a 302) 351 is a better choice for him.

You can get a 351 block ( I have before and see them all the time) out of an 85 Crown Vic that will have a one piece rear main for about 70 bucks unless it is 1/2 price day then that would be duh...35 bux.

Also MOST 331 kits do have the oil ring retainer in the piston pin, dont believe the hype. There is less piston speed and a better rod to stroke ratio, but the stroke is lacking.

If he wants a torque motor he need go on further than a 10.7 to one 357 (30 over 351)low duration high lift cam with some smallish (190/160) heads and 1 5/8 headers there will be PLENTY of torque but low HP. And a dual plane intake performer or performer RPM. The RPM actually makes just as much low end if you keep the heads/cam smallish.

Why does he keep frying stock motors when I have pushed mine into the 12.20 range and had not one problem?

thanks for the info, some good stuff in there, his friend that is a ford mechanic for 20 years keeps pushing the c-6 idea in his head and says he can get one for 300 bucks? i dunno about all that. as far as him frying a stock motor, I dont know the first one threw a rod at 60k miles, and the second cracked a clinder wall, he likes to rev, i guess and they just cant handle going over 5k rpm stock, truck 5.0? i dunno, maybe its the speed density not keeping up and leaning him out. ill let him know its probably better to go with the 351 block.

Thanks again.

nickn
¯
Member # 193

quote:
Originally posted by Russell:
I just built a 347 stroker for my 1988 ford p/u It runs real strong 375 h/p 410 ft lbs of torque from 1200 rpm thru 4800 rpm. But if i had it to do over i'd build a 351 windsor, and save about 2,000 bucks Russ

how much can he build a decent 351 for?

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey here is a good site that sells stroker kits they have it for the 302 block and 351 and almost any stroke that you want

http://www.dayton50perf.com/shortblock.html

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:

Good luck finding one.

I didn't know the C6 came in two differnt bolt patterns. Good to know.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com