Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How much power will a stock 5.0 block hold

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How much power will a stock 5.0 block hold
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to know how much horsepower it can handle.Ive heard around 500-550.Who makes good blocks that will handle good horsepower.Thanks
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stock blocks will do that for a while
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, they'll handle that...but for how long Im kinda curious of this too. Im gonna be in that power range(maybe higher) fairly soon...but I want my motor to last(dont have the money to blow one up and build another right away). So Im probably gonna need a Sportsman with a girdle, am I right?

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: Blu50Stang ]

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sportsmans are too cheap to risk it now a days.

An R block is always a good buy can be bored 80 over with no worries.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who sells good r blocks?Are they expensive?
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hell yea there exspensive. youd be lucky if you could get one for 1500+ s/h. then figure another 1000 for machining.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uh well figure what new heads/rotating assembly and maybe cam will cost you when you split your block and it is worth it.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
Uh well figure what new heads/rotating assembly and maybe cam will cost you when you split your block and it is worth it.

Very true. When you build up a motor with pricey components, why risk it with a stock block, especially if you are gonna be in a high hp range, or there is a possibility of running high hp #'s. What's a Sportsman with a girdle good for anyway? I don't think I will be exceeding 650fwhp(but just incase I do feel the need to have more power, what's my limit?).

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be good with the sportsman but if you are thinking about the future than it is not going to be enough. If you can afford it by a svo block like the R and you probably wont need another block again. If you buy it at Serromonte Ford Mike will ship it to your Machine shop for free I think. He usually stocks them too!
I think World Products or Dart are making an aftermarket block Ford block now also, but just as exspensive. I would look into getting a good early block if you can. Get it machined GOOD and you should be all right. Some people sware by a girdle and some people dont so I would look into how much the girdle actually does for you before you buy it.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ill get the pics of the last shortblock that I seen blow apart with a main girdle on it.

The only thing it LOOKS like it did was save the last 6 rods/pistons.

The cam is bent the whole front of the motor is gone and the crank snapped.

It was a mess.

Oh yeah and the girdle and ARP studs ripped backwards.

You should see it, what a mess.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, I've heard it said that a girdle on a stock block does little more than create a pretty little mess when the block goes. Not sure if it can protect an expensive crank, etc.
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
exceeding 650fwhp

You got a front drive 5.0???? Just wanted to know if you knew something I didn't
Oh wait a minute that's probably FLYWHEEL HP.... I'm so used to seeing RWHP it confused me for a second....

[ March 29, 2002: Message edited by: Marshall Mathers ]

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Send me the pics. I would love to see the mess!

--------------------
I like cars.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
crank snapped and a bent cam holy shit!
how the fuck do you bend a cam???????? [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there was a post on the corral lately discussing if girdles actually did anything. there was alot of info. i think someone said that if you just throw a girdle on it will do more harm than good. but there was alot of other stuff involved so you'll have to check it out. heres the link.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55246

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My stock block is working over time for me and I love her for it [dance]
Hey can I please see that mess?

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that's what is so amazing about the mod motors...John Mihovitz is pumping 1200+ HP with a stock aluminum cobra block! dudes running 9s with stock heads! I wonder why ford couldn't make the '03 cobra with an aluminum block without it being a "disaster"?

an R block sounds cheap!
i could've gotten 3 of 'em for the price of a cobra motor!

everything's relative, huh?
good luck!

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's a stock block modular in this last months edition of (I forget, 5.0 of mm&ff) running 7's on a stock block! doh! [worship]
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In comparison to a 5.0, how much HP could a stock 351w handle?

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com