Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rust in my lifter journals

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rust in my lifter journals
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bought an assembled short block and all looks good except there is a little bit of surface rust in three of the sixteen lifter journals. I need some tips about what to do about this. Do I need to disassemble the block? How bad is it to have a little surface rust? Thanks in advance.

Pete

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rust makes FORD's run better!

but seriously, I'd wire-brush it out, and then change the oil soon after you run it.

No way I know of to 'catch' the rust if you're filing/sanding the lifter bores.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this a cobra motor 5.0 or4.6?> you gonna run a blower or NOS? Sorry cant help you out on the rust on the motor Did you blow the motor in your 99cobra? Hopefully we can meet at the car show on the 30th> you gonna be there?

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a 5.0 block I am building for my 83 Stang. I am going to run a 100 shot of nitrous with gt-40 heads that are ported. The Cobra Motor is still running great, low 13's all day with stock gears .

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com