Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Camaro guys need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Camaro guys need help
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, my buddie has a 94 Lt1 camaro, that is having some surgging problems? he said his fuel economy has been getting worse and now its finnaly dying..I am going to change the fuel filter any special tools? also were is it located? is there any kinda common problems I should check on the early lt1 camaros?? thanks a bunch

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fuel filter should be on the frame rail right in front of the drivers side rear tire. You can do it without special toold but those fuel line clamps might help.

I am not real familiar with LT1's but I know that their opti-spark packs go out often and when they do it suck major ass. There are expensive and hard to install.

If his problems persist after the filter swap I would post this on the Norcal-LS1/LT1 site. There a bunch of LT1 guys that could assist you guys.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks justin for the reply im going to try the filter if that doesnt work then im going post over on Norcal, also do you know any sites that have reports on common problems or recals?
nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
Thanks justin for the reply im going to try the filter if that doesnt work then im going post over on Norcal, also do you know any sites that have reports on common problems or recals?

try www.camaroz28.com

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried replying to this post once but it didn't take. The fuel filter is a good start but also check fuel pressure to isolate a possible dying fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator..... I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge at the shrader valve on the back of the fuel rail and measure for at least 37-41 psi at idle and more with vacuum. If that doesn't work it could also be some dirty plugs. If he's got headers you can change plugs in about 2 hours. If not be prepared for an all day event....

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
65wannaGT
¯
Member # 945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65wannaGT  Ford pictures for 65wannaGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man, you got ensomnia like me tonight or what? i can't believe any is awke. shiiit i shouldn't be awake. need a bowl to tko me.
30thA4
Member # 1065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30thA4  Ford pictures for 30thA4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F8L posted a link to your thread on our board:
norcal-ls1.net

A very norotious part in the LT1 (Specially the pre95's) is the optispark (basicly a fancy name for a distributor).
IT's a pain in the arse to change, and fi he does he's also better off going to a a vented opti which would require extending the little dong (sorry don't knwo technical name) on the cam.
I know it's a PITA.
But I'm 90% sure it's his optispark (seats under the H20 pump).

Hope this helps... I also hope I am wrong.

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: 30thA4 ]

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah the optisparks are sometimes a PITA. It could be that but I'd check the other stuff first. Surging is usually caused by fuel delivery while stuttering is caused by lack of ignition spark. A swap to a new coil is also a good idea. It's not a bad idea to get an upgraded coil and they aren't that expensive at about 100 bucks for a top of the line Nology (I have one)... And the "dong" that you referred to to swap to a vented opti is more commonly known as the Cam dowel pin. There are two versions, a short for pre 95 non vented optis and the long for 95+ vented optis. I'm still trying to make sure which one I need since I have a 94 block but I have a 95 vented opti. I have all the accessories of a 95 that came off my old motor but the block is 94. It shouldn't matter cause the timing cover is the key so I shouldn't have any trouble mating up the cam to my 95+ opti. I have the long dowel pin cam but the one that came out of the 94 motor was a short pin cam....

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I changed the Fuel Filter and checked the pump, everything seems good on the fuel delevery side, it feels like it has lost a cylinder im pretty sure its the opti spark I told him to find someone that knows how to change it or take it to a shop thanks for your help guys

--------------------
SR

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com