Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Shifter Debate

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Shifter Debate
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I've been looking into putting an aftermarket shifter into my 02 GT. I have been leaning towards the Steeda Tri-ax, but I know there are also the B&M ripper shifter and the pro5.0 shifter. For those of you who have upgraded your shifters, which one do you have, and how would you rate the difference and driveablity of it. Thanks

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everybody is just gonna vote for whatever the bought.

/cough *tri-ax* (I don't even own a T-45, so arguably irrelevant)

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I'm just hoping that people may have driven multiple types of shifters, and maybe they can tell me some of the differences. Not necessarily that any of them are that much better than another, but they might have different strengths.

--------------------

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love the B&M on my T5, but i drove one on the T45 and thought it felt shitty. I'd go with the Tri-ax for your car.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
98GTpro
¯
Member # 411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98GTpro  Ford pictures for 98GTpro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tri-ax is the one to buy!!
Posts: 71 | From: Pleasanton, California | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
sic91sleeper
¯
Member # 1029

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic91sleeper  Ford pictures for sic91sleeper    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a friend that has a 91gt 5.0 w/a B&M and a friend with a 97gt w/a tri-ax and a friend w/a 98 cobra w/a Pro 5.0 and i like the shifters in this order:

Pro 5.0 By FAAAAAAR
Stedda Tri-ax prettey sick!
B&M ripper shifter. i thought it was shitty

Just my opionion

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a B&M on my coug, and love the thing. I think gabe has one on his cobra also, and seems to like it too. Good shifter in my book, especially for the price.
Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the pro 5.0 on my car and i have driven my buddies 98 cobra that has the b&m. i would definetly say that the pro 5.0 one is better. it is shorter, it has an offset to find 3rd EASILY(but i've heard that the tri-ax has something similar) and it is much straighter, which i like. the ripper is bent the same way the stock one is, and the pro5.0 is pretty straight.

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Well, I figured I would go on e-bay to look and see if I could find a general price for the Steeda Tri-ax shifter and this is what I found:

e-bay item

If you guys don't mind taking a look at that, see if it seems like a smart thing to do. Thanks

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought my tri-ax from thunderbolt. good guy, quick ship.

was $180 to my door last year.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Thanks Shade-Tree, it looks as though they have a lot of good prices, and they'll be getting some of my business. I just wanted to check out the shop before I put in my order. I'm going to wait until my next paycheck though, but I'm already looking forward to it.

--------------------

yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look down hehehe

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
had them all pro 50 is the best
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another vote for the tri-ax. bought my from Thundersport via eBay. the shipment took awhile, cause they are in high demand and they had to wait for it. other than that...not a bad idea to buy from them. just check out their feedbacks, im sure it well beyond 1k, of which the majority are happy doing business with them.

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Triax shifts in the 'laid back' possition, meaning in 3rd gear it's not in the stereo.
The main selling point is the adjustable handle & I've heard the best setup was the Pro5.0 with the Triax handle, but I think the Pro5.0 now comes with an adjustable handle.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the B&M on my 5.0, and now I have the tri-ax. I like the tri-ax much better. I haven't tried the Pro 5.0 though.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've had all 3 on my 98 cobra and ill tell you what I liked/disliked about each...

B&M Ripper... too short.. awkward handle too notchy feels like its ripping up the synchro's..

Tri-Ax somewhat smoother shifts than the B&M BUT JESUS CHRIST it's loud! too tall even on the shorter "setting"

Pro 5.0.. Quiet.. Smooth as heck shifts.. 3rd and 5th are kind of a far reach (since im 6'3 and sit in the backset practically) other than that.. my Pro 5.0 is the shifter i'll stick with... and will buy again

my $.02

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com