Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous Cam for 5.0?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Nitrous Cam for 5.0?
Bgd&Drgd
¯
Member # 988

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bgd&Drgd  Ford pictures for Bgd&Drgd  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know who makes a good nitrous cam for a 5.0?

--------------------
'98 Chevy S-10 layin frame with 18s.
Half inch airline and solenoids.
ooccustoms.com
[img]http://www.netSnapShot.com/users/7702/images/PKgupMCoBQIAAClgq50_7702_9.jpeg[/img]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Off the shelf type cam??

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Bgd&Drgd
¯
Member # 988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bgd&Drgd  Ford pictures for Bgd&Drgd  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I built a SBC 350 .030 with a Lunati cam and I remember seeing quite a few Nitrous cams for SBC, and wasnt sure if they make them for 5.0s. Any ideas on off the shelf cams?

--------------------
'98 Chevy S-10 layin frame with 18s.
Half inch airline and solenoids.
ooccustoms.com
[img]http://www.netSnapShot.com/users/7702/images/PKgupMCoBQIAAClgq50_7702_9.jpeg[/img]

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call a cam company. its easier. They all make cams for 5.0's
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me say a few things here and you being an engine builder can make your own assumptions.

Nitrous generally favors cams that have more exhaust overlap and duration.

GENERALLY

I wouldnt lose sight of the cam that would work best in your 5 liter OVERALL (meaning off nitrous performance) for one that will pick up more on the nitrous due to its grind.

I mean you arent going to be on the bottle 100% of the time so picking a camshaft that is going to run harder on the bottle versus off the bottle is not really a wise thing to do on a street car.

If this is a track car, different story.

So when picking the cam that works best for your car off the bottle, or with your overall combo I would go for whatever one favors exhaust overlap and duration over the other.

So if you have a cam with say

220 intake and 232 exhaust at 50 and then a cam that is 220 and 228 at 50 you would want (when looking at overlap as well) to probably choose the cam with 232 if it is going to suit the motors needs better or if it wont make much difference.

Also remember that the good thing about this and one of the reasons I feel that stock motor 5 liters run very very hard on the bottle for being stock is that the stock heads and even most aftermarket ford heads are going to like this added event as well.

That is just my .02 cents.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.compcams.com

they have a whole N20 section.

btw, the stock cam will make great power with N20, I dunno if I'd stress over a cam unless you're trying to squeak the last 10-20 HP on a nicely built up drag-mobile. Otherwise, so much wasted tirespin when you hit the switch, ya know?

btw, Dan, overlap on an N20 cam is not a good thing. You tend to blow cylinder pressure out the exhaust. I totally agree on extended exhaust duration though, but not at the price of creating more than just a smidge of overlap.

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

??????

Uhhhmmmm

Joe it is really not possible (unless you have found one) to design a cam with added exhaust duration without added overlap.

Remember that overlap doesnt mean the valves will be hung open together on the up stroke of the piston. That is only true 40% of the time.

I dont know everything there is to know on this but Im pretty sure about that

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look at the LSA, cam-master Ed specs LSA's around 108-109 for his customers NA cars, major overlap.

if you run the numbers, just increase the LSA, and the overlap becomes less and less.

e.g., from the comp cams catalog

nitrous HP 274HR
224/236 @0.05, .555/.570 lift, 114 LSA

thats a pretty wide LSA

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes Dan, you can add alot of exhaust duration, without adding a ton of overlap. And as I agree to a certain point about not wanting exhaust overlap, it can be very helpful in a strong nitrous motor. Without giving away too many secrets, I have found that setting the cam timing to allow fresh nitrous to come in on the intake stroke, cross the piston, and exit on overlap, to help cool the top of the piston. Its minor in terms of nitrous waste, but the benifit of keeping the piston cooler is great. It has helped alot on my motor, and with a 300 hp setting, I still get all that power to the rear wheels. And the pistons are happy too
[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

Look, its party time!!!!!

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

quote:
Originally posted by customN2O:
I have found that setting the cam timing to allow fresh nitrous to come in on the intake stroke, cross the piston, and exit on overlap, to help cool the top of the piston.

Well Scott you have put it to use and I have only put it to theory.

Secret secret I got a secret

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com