Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   »

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic:
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, after talking to Dan when he was working on my ride Monday, I figured something out.

I had adjusted my rear drum brakes a few days before going to the track because they were a little loose (the drums) when I was changing tires. I adjusted them completely out, which was great for the street, but not so great for doing brakestand burnouts.

Well, I forgot to loosen the brake setting all the way out in an effort to cut down rear axle bind when we got to the track.

This led to my snapping my axles.

My gear wasn't faulty.

I was on Drag Radials.

It shouldn't have happened.

Had I adjusted my rear drums for track use, I would still have my rear intact with 4.10's right now.

Just figured I would share this info with you guys, so it doesn't happen to you.

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: what? ]

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: what? ]

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no way! I call BS! how are your rear brakes going to snap an axle? Whether pre-loaded or not or am I not understanding the picture?

Only problem I ever had was (I have these crappy t-bird rear discs) a rear caliper 'binding'. When I did a burnout, it would only hit one tire and kinda screwed up my diff.

[worship]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ha no bs here.

Dude his drum was so fuckin tight the car wouldnt even roll off the trailer.

There is no other explanation.

You do understand that TED tightened the drum until it stopped moving. Thinking it was loose.

I say this is what happened.

The axle snapped inside of the splines and cracked the carrier up the side.

The loose drivers side had no probs.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol. That sucks!
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im sure Ted will live and learn.

I know he was jumping around cussing like a mad man when I was pulling it apart and was like what the fuck happened here TED???

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So did you have to hammer the drum over the brake shoes to get it that tight?

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

You have to hammer the drum over the brake shoes to get it off but the brake hardware gives or the pads crack like on his.

Ted tightened it with the drum on using the tensioners like any other normal guy, but he went too tight.

Has to be why or it could have just been FM.

Fuckin Magic.

How long have you been leaving hard on your stock axles Sawson?

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its all good though.
Can you say 31 splines in the near future??
Hrmmmmm......
I knew you could!!

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You would think the driver should have noticed the car would not roll at an idle Oh well, we live and learn

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Nah, it rolled. It was just set nice and tight.
I just didn't stop to think "Okay... Brakestands!!" "Loosen the brakes back up again, then race!"
I fucked up. Just hate to see fellow friends do this.
Line-Lock is the only true answer to this problem.

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:

How long have you been leaving hard on your stock axles Sawson?

I wouldn't call me leaving hard. I haven't gotten a 1.7X yet. In fact, I have only 2 1.8X timeslips, and half a dozen 1.9's. From there, I probably have every possible 2.0X slips possible.

"GOROBGO" use to show up with two bottles, leave at 5K RPM on slicks, cut solid 1.6's and even a 1.5x once.... he probably had 100+ passes like this on his LX.... stock driveline with a clutch and 3.73's, thats it! What about your buddy JP.... didn't he run hard for a long time with the stock axels as well?

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

JP ran stock axles for years.

Years.

10 second car too

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Well.
Okay.
Then explain to me how else, with everything I've told you, this could happen on the very first pass (ahem, burnout) on D.R.'s?
My rear was completely re-done six months before. New bearings etc.

Are you saying it is solely based on the cars weight??

Please share your opinions on what else it could have been. I mean..... I had 1 burnout, and snap??

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GOROBGO here...
exactly when did it snap?
what tires/tire pressure were you running?

4:10 is a bit different than 3:73, is my guess...
when launching on slicks, i would ride the clutch out until it was *just* starting to catch on the starting line, so the driveline was 'loaded' with no slack.

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

ROB!!!

Your video against that F-Body has really inspired me man!! "Wooo-Hoooo!! Yeah Buddy!!! BYE-BYE!!"

Anyhow, it was on BF Goodrich Drag Radials set to 16 lbs each.
I launched at 4,600 rpm.
The clutch was a FMS Heavy Duty unit.

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a weak little camaro smackdown of my own...

http://12.235.21.204/camarosmackdown.mpg

please forgive my wife's camera work.
this was sears point last year, the totally ripped up the track, so it will be a completely different place this year. [worship]

edit: and no, I wasn't beaten at the start. They gave the handicap advantage to the 'maro [worship] [worship] (my dial in was lower)

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Oh and Rob. It snapped exactly at Launch. Dropped the clutch and went nowhere.

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I have a weak little camaro smackdown of my own...

http://12.235.21.204/camarosmackdown.mpg

please forgive my wife's camera work.
this was sears point last year, the totally ripped up the track, so it will be a completely different place this year. [worship]

edit: and no, I wasn't beaten at the start. They gave the handicap advantage to the 'maro [worship] [worship] (my dial in was lower)

I've never seen anyone so proud of beating a V6 before in my life

[patriot]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh no! the truth comes out!
note: I never referred to it other than as a 'camaro' lol.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
no way! I call BS! how are your rear brakes going to snap an axle? Whether pre-loaded or not or am I not understanding the picture?

Only problem I ever had was (I have these crappy t-bird rear discs) a rear caliper 'binding'. When I did a burnout, it would only hit one tire and kinda screwed up my diff.

[worship]

Dude u say everyone is bull shit

I think your [BS flag] because you say everyone is always [BS flag]

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok. you explain to me the physics of a tightened drum loading the axle in such a way as to snap. maybe you can offer your $0.02

[worship]

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

The clamping force of the brake caliper X the drum + the torque of the third member = wreaked havoc on the axle. Joe it snapped in the third member. There is twist the length of the axle too. Guess you have to see it.

Or maybe mine is the ONE set that Ford built that could only handle one pass down the Dragstrip on BF Drag Radials?? NOW THAT SOUNDS MORE REDICULOUS!

You can call bs all day, tell me what happened genious??

To date, I have talked to some serious Drag Racers who tell me more then likely it was that. Anytime you Brakestand vs. Line-loc'ing you run that risk. If you tighten your brakes to maximize stopping efficiency, you will only increase the chances of breakage. Everyone but you agrees that the increase in breaking force vs. the torque at the third member caused the snap. Which is why the axle snapped so close to the 3rd member.

I dunno, I am getting 31 splines and line-loc.
This should virtually eliminate the problem going forth.

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

I'm not saying I'm a genious. I'm just saying I didn't understand it. big difference! gosh. [worship]
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

I have been told by many to just go ahead and 4.10 another stock rear if I am to use just the Drag Radials. Be sure each time I get to the strip to back the rear drums off or, and I like this better, spend the money for a line-loc set-up.
But, I am wanting to get the 31 splines and use Slicks instead. Thats the plan for now.

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

line lock sounds like fun. but I've rather gotten used to the brake stand thing.

stock rears are really cheap, if you can find a good one

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com