Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cat bak, x pipe, headers, what is the difference?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat bak, x pipe, headers, what is the difference?
RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertTS  Ford pictures for RobertTS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard about this parts for the exhaust, but I don't know what is the difference between each on of them. I'm trying to make my car sound loud as hell, so I don't know what to buy, help me out!
j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Headers connect to the exhaust valves on your heads and expel the exhaust gases from the motor.

X-Pipe or H-pipe is just after the headers. These help with the acceleration of the gases being expelled from the motor (A nice X-pipe with give the 4.6 a good tone as well. IMHO X for a 4.6 and H for 5.0)

Catback is the section from the X or H pipe with the mufflers. It should be mandrel bent with some good mufflers for sound and performance.

My suggestion:
You probably don't need headers right now. Don't bother with it.
X is you have a 4.6 and H if you have a 5.0.(IMHO)
Mufflers are plentiful. Listen to some and see which ones you like the best.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exhaust mods are great for making your car louder, not so great at making it faster.

unless you're running a power adder, the difference between an X and an H is probably undetectable.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com