Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Just replaced MAF-car still surges

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Just replaced MAF-car still surges
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can anyone help? My car just got a tune up a month ago. Walnut Creek Ford said the surging is due to my MAF-and that it needs to be replaced. Finally replaced it yesterday, still doing the same thing. The car actually hesistated and backfired when i tried to hammer it on first. I'm thinking about bringing the car back in for diagnosis, but hoping that I don't need to pay for it since they gave the wrong diagnosis. Does anyone else have this problem??? What could it be?? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also, are there any reliable techs out there????Anyone in the bay are!

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the backfire through the intake or exhaust?

Any computer codes?

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stupid question, but did you reset your computer after you replaced the MAF?

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the replies: answers to the Q
1)the backfire was from the exhaust
2)i disconnected the battery last night and reconnected it this morning. same thing....the car surges really bad in fifth when i try to WOT.

what else could it be?? would you guys know of any reliable techs in the bay area?? again thanks for the replies

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
??Vaccuum problem maybe?? I wish I could be of more help.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

I'm hoping it is just a vacuum prob. I'll probably be heading back to the dealer to have it diagnosed again. I just want to avoid replacing another good part in my vehicle, just like what i did with MAF. Spent $200-when the previous one was not even the problem. And of course, no should would accept any returns on electronics! I hope to find the main culprit. I know WIKD has problems with his car surging, but i can't compare my stock engine to his blown modular engine.

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com